Here’s a beautiful, simple cake: Lemon And Blueberry Upside Down Cake
This is a pretty, perfect cake to make when fresh blueberries are in season.
I love the lemon paired with the blueberries, and sweet whipped cream served on top is a great idea!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Lemon and Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
LEMON- ALMOND BUTTER CAKE:
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces almond paste (scant 1/2 cup), broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- freshly whipped cream, additional blueberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the brown sugar and butter in an 9-inch diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides (preferably nonstick). Place the cake pan over medium heat and whisk constantly until butter and sugar melt and mixture is smooth and bubbling. Using pot holders, remove the pan from heat; cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over.
- Prepare the cake: Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Combine the almond paste, sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the almond paste is broken into very small pieces, about 1 minute. Add the butter, 1 piece at a time, beating until mixture is smooth and scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition. Add the flour mixture and beat just until batter is smooth. Spoon the batter in dollops over the blueberries in the pan; spread evenly with offset spatula to smooth.
- Place some foil or a pan on a rack under the cake to catch any possible exploding juices from the blueberries (just in case). Bake the cake until deep golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 42 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 1 minute. Run a small knife around cake to loosen. Place a large platter atop pan. Using oven mitts or pot holders, hold platter and cake pan firmly together with both hands and invert; shake gently, allowing cake to settle on platter. Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with additional blueberries and whipped cream, if desired.
Here are a few more upside down cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Pear Upside Down Cake by Reluctant Entertainer
- Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Recipe Girl
- Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake by Diethood
- Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Cake by Recipe Girl