An old family favorite: Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
A sweet, lemony glaze gives this cake extra zing!
Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add the dry mixture alternately with milk, ending with dry ingredients. Stir in lemon zest and berries, and nuts, if desired.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until bread tests done.
DRIZZLE & FINISHING
- While cake is baking, combine lemon juice and sugar in saucepan and cook 2 to 3 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Poke holes in bread with skewer, then turn out bread onto wire rack.
- Drizzle syrup over top of bread and let soak in and dry before slicing.