Here’s a good idea for using up your pumpkin puree all year long: Baked Pumpkin Parmesan Chicken
This easy dinner recipe is something your whole family will enjoy. I improved the nutrition on classic baked Parmesan Chicken by substituting a large component of the fat with pure pumpkin puree.
A lot of people don’t realize that pumpkin can be used as a substitution for butter, oil and eggs- which cuts fat, calories and cholesterol from your favorite recipes. Pumpkin is considered a superfood! It’s a good source of fiber and an excellent source of vitamin A and the antioxidant beta-carotine.
In this recipe, pumpkin is blended with Parmesan, spices and a tiny bit of mayonnaise to create a delicious topping for baked chicken. You can store your leftover pumpkin in a re-sealable container in the fridge for up to one week (to use in other recipes). Or you can store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months in your freezer.
Halfway through baking your chicken, more Parmesan is sprinkled on top.
The result is a delicious and moist baked chicken with a flavorful topping.
Cool pumpkin facts!
- You can improve the nutrition of your cake or brownies by replacing the fat or oil with pumpkin.
- Add 1/4 cup of pure pumpkin into 1 cup of store-bought hummus for a touch of color and added natural flavor.
This recipe was taste-test approved by five people who happened to be milling about my house. I got some big eyebrows when I told them there was pumpkin in the recipe. They were super curious to see how this chicken was going to taste. Big thumbs-up all around upon tasting a few bites. The pumpkin works wonders to keep the chicken tender while baking, and it makes for a fabulous pairing with the Parmesan cheese too!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to WW Points on the recipe card below.
Baked Pumpkin Parmesan Chicken
- 4 medium (about 1½ pounds) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1¼ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Spray a medium casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the chicken breasts in the prepared casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pumpkin, ¾ cup Parmesan, mayonnaise, garlic and onion powder, parsley, salt and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Divide the mixture evenly over the chicken breasts, patting to cover the tops.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top of the chicken. Bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.
Here are a few more recipes utilizing pumpkin for dinner that you might enjoy:
- Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Cream Sauce by Cheeky Kitchen
- Pumpkin Biscuits by Recipe Girl
- Pumpkin Hummus Quesadillas by Love and Lemons
- Pumpkin Scalloped Potatoes by Recipe Girl
- Pumpkin Pizza with Crispy Sage by Two Peas and Their Pod
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with LIBBY’S Pumpkin to share ideas about how you can use pumpkin in your recipes all year long. I only partner with brands that I use already in the Recipe Girl kitchen. This is a product that I know and love and use in my kitchen quite often!