My new favorite soup recipe is this Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Crispy Sage.
This beautiful Sweet Potato Soup has a velvety texture. It’s filling and warm and comforting. And the crunch of the bacon and crispy sage garnished on top is a huge bonus. To print the complete recipe, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Pictured above are some of the products I’ve featured in this Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Crispy Sage recipe. It just so happens that you can get a bunch of the ingredients in organic format, if you wish.
How to make Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Crispy Sage:
Fry the bacon in a skillet. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain, and then fry the sage leaves in the hot bacon grease.
Add a tablespoon of the bacon grease to a soup pot, and use it as the fat to sauté celery, carrot and onion with salt, ginger and black pepper. Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth and apple juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are very soft. Purée the soup, and then stir in half and half cream.
I’m very pleased with the way this soup turns out. The texture is wonderful, smooth and silky. The flavor is slightly sweet from the addition of apple juice. It’s quite a delicious soup all by itself, but I do recommend you try adding the suggested garnishes.
Garnish your Sweet Potato Soup with the bacon and crispy sage. They are both fabulous additions!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might enjoy:
Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon and Crispy Sage
- 8 strips bacon
- 16 whole fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- ½ cup half and half cream
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to paper towels to cool and drain. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Add the sage leaves to the hot bacon grease and fry until crisp. Remove the sage to paper towels to cool and drain. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease to a large soup pot and turn the heat to medium. Add the celery, carrot, onion, salt, ginger and pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are a little bit softened. Add the potatoes, chicken broth and apple juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are very soft- about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup mixture in batches in a blender or food processor, or use a hand immersion blender to puree directly in the pot. Pour the puréed soup back into the pot. Stir in the cream and re-heat until warmed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with bacon and crispy pieces of sage.