Here’s a delicious cookie recipe that is a bit lower in calories too: Iced Orange Cookies
These cookies are made with all whole wheat flour (no white in sight!) My feeling is that you can taste the difference when eating one of the plain cookies, but with that icing on there you can’t really detect it … it just makes them wonderful.
The orange segments are just for garnishing fun, of course. The boys in my family are ‘baked good fanatics’… mostly eating the full-fat unhealthy sorts of treats. That being said, they both love these cookies (whole wheat flour and all!) These also freeze well- I stick them into individual zips for lunches and throw one into the lunchbox each day for a little dessert.
With these treats, I don’t feel so guilty about eating them. If you can manage to get 30 cookies out of the batch, each cookie is only 97 calories (Weight Watchers points included in the recipe below). Not too bad… especially if you burn 500 calories putting in 50 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym! “Will exercise for cookies!”
Yield: 30 cookies (1 cookie per serving)
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Iced Orange Cookies
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) freshly squeezed orange juice (grate zest before juicing)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest (the rind of 1 large or 2 small oranges)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (the rind of 1 small orange)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare dough: Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat in egg, then orange juice and orange zest, scraping the bowl. The mixture will look curdled; that's OK! Add the flour, beating until smooth. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies: Bake cookies, reversing pans midway through (top to bottom, bottom to top), until they're just barely beginning to brown around the edges, 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and let them cool on the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.
- Prepare the icing: Beat the sugar, butter, orange zest, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Beat in orange juice until the mixture is spreadable. Spread icing on the cookies when they're completely cool, using a generous 1 teaspoon icing for each.
- Nutritional Information per cookie: calories 97, fat 5.32g (sat fat 3.24g), cholesterol 20.28mg, sodium 81.05mg, carbohydrates 11.73g, fiber 1.04g, protein 1.41g
- Weight Watcher Points: SmartPoints: 4, Points Plus 3, Old WW Program 2.5