This Orange Buttercream Frosting is easy to make, and it’s really, really delicious!
Orange Buttercream Frosting isn’t your typical frosting flavor for cupcakes and cakes. But it’s a very good flavor to try. It’s made with freshly squeezed orange juice and plenty of freshly grated orange zest, so there’s a real punch of flavor in this frosting.
You’re in luck if you’re sticking with an orange theme– because Amazon carries Orange Cupcake Liners for a great price!
Orange is such a nice, fresh flavor in baked goods. I love to use fresh orange juice in savory recipes, but it’s most refreshing to use in sweet treats. There isn’t anything much better than freshly squeezed orange juice from the most sweet, ripe oranges.
Use this frosting to frost my Fresh Orange Layer Cake! If you really enjoy orange flavored treats, that orange layer cake with this Orange Buttercream Frosting will certainly make you happy!
I hope you’ll try my Orange Buttercream Frosting recipe and let me know what you think. It’s one of my favorite frosting flavors!
If you’re looking for more recipes using fresh orange, you might like to try my Orange- Cranberry Twists or this Honey- Sriracha Orange Chicken. Orange Cake Truffles, Orange Scallion Chicken and Orange- Basil Mojitos are good orange-scented recipes to try too! I’ve also been eyeing this Homemade Orange Sherbet and this Skinny Orange Chicken.
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pasteurized egg yolk (* see Recipe Notes below)
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Use an electric mixer to combine the butter, zest, salt and egg yolk in a medium bowl. Add the sugar alternately with orange juice beating until of spreading or piping consistency.
- Using pasteurized egg yolks in a recipe where the eggs are not cooked reduces risk of salmonella.