Eggnog Fudge

This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Christmas Candy Recipes- Eggnog Fudge

Yield: 30 to 40 pieces

Prep Time: 30 min

Cook Time: 12 min

Eggnog Fudge

2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup salted butter
3/4 cup dairy eggnog
10.5 ounces white chocolate bars, chopped into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus a little more for the top of the fudge
One 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon rum extract

1. Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with foil and let it hang over the sides. Butter the foil.

2. In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, butter and eggnog. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat or until a candy thermometer reaches 234°F, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

3. Using a wooden spoon, work quickly to stir in chopped white chocolate and nutmeg until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in marshmallow creme and rum extract. Beat until well blended and then pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle a little freshly ground nutmeg on top. Let stand at room temperature until cooled. Refrigerate if you'd like to speed up the process.

4. When completely cool, cut into squares. Store in a covered container.

*This fudge freezes well. Place in a covered container; it will keep for several weeks.

Source: (Adapted from Recipezaar)

57 Responses to “Eggnog Fudge”

1. postedDec 1, 2009 11:24 AM

Oh my word. This looks absolutely sinful! Makes my mouth water just looking at it.

I saw you’re tweet about it and all things fudge are a soft spot for me. 😉

Thanks for posting it. I’m printing it out and will plan to give it a try for the holiday party coming up.

2. postedDec 9, 2009 8:32 PM

How do you get 30 to 40 pieces out of a 9×9 pan? Are they pretty small pieces or should I put them in a 9×13???? I’m just trying to make sure I do it right!

3. postedNov 20, 2010 7:22 AM

Can you use soy eggnog for this recipe instead of dairy? Any special tips if I do?

• November 20th, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

@C. Michele, Wish I could tell you… I’ve never baked w/ soy substitutes. Please let me know if you try it and it works!

4. postedDec 9, 2010 11:15 AM

I just made this last night and it was SO good!! Perfect creamy texture fudge and the eggnog taste is amazing!! Thanks for the recipe! I brought a few pieces to share at work, but the rest are in my freezer to go into my Christmas gifts.

5. postedDec 9, 2010 11:28 AM

OOhh, that sounds really good, and unexpected. I’ll have to try it out on my cousin, who loves eggnog.

6. postedDec 14, 2010 8:36 AM

would this work with ground nutmeg from the spice aisle or do I need to grind it fresh? Can’t wait to try this!!

• December 14th, 2010 @ 1:04 PM

@Carol, Yes, regular ground nutmeg will work just fine. :)

7. postedDec 16, 2010 3:22 AM

WHat exactely is marshmallow creme? Can I substitute it with anything? OMG, this looks sooo good!

• December 17th, 2010 @ 7:14 PM

@Bianca, Marshmallow Creme is like melted marshmallows sold in a jar in the USA. I suppose you could try subbing regular marshmallows, though I haven’t tried that yet.

8. postedDec 17, 2010 1:28 PM

This really looks good! I do have a question It calles for 10.5 white chocolate bars are these in the candy section or is it baking chocolate?
    Thanks for the help.
    Ps. another asked if it was 9×9″ pan or 9×13.

• December 17th, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

@Dian, You can use any kind of white chocolate that you can find- in the candy aisle or baking section. You can either use a 9×9 or an 8×8-inch pan for this recipe. 9×13 would be too large.

9. postedDec 20, 2010 5:31 AM

My friend made this when I posted the recipe and cautioned me to let the first mixture boil at 234 for an extra 5 minutes to get it to set up correctly. I did and it took awhile to set up- I ended up putting it in the fridge. If left out for awhile, it does get really creamy/hard to lift from the container.

I didn’t get to sample hers to see if/what the difference was, but if it helps someone, then yea! :) But, I got RAVE reviews of it. I probably should just print the URL for this site on business cards I’m giving it out so much!

10. postedDec 21, 2010 10:08 AM

This sounds so yummy! I’m including it in my Friday Favorites this week!

11. postedDec 21, 2010 5:54 PM

Made this yesterday and it is AMAZING. I love the seasonal decadence it will bring to holiday gifts this year! I have one problem, though . . . I could never stack it the way you did in the picture. It’s nice and firm if I have it in the refrigerator, but if it’s out it gets really soft and starts sticking together. I had cut the fudge and bagged it in cute little holiday bags to give to teachers and after a couple of hours in the bag, they got soft and mushy! How do you get fudge to stay firm???

12. postedDec 24, 2010 9:44 PM

I blogged about your recipe. I just got back from my family get together at my Aunt’s House and OH my goodness. What a success! Everyone loved the fudge. I loved how easy it was. Thanks a million!!! Merry Christmas!!

13. postedDec 5, 2011 6:47 AM

I made this fudge for my sister–she and I are the biggest egg nog fans… Having never made fudge before, I was a little nervous, but it couldn’t have been easier to make. My sister is a HUGE fudge fan and continues to rave about it. The egg nog flavor really comes through, making this a super creamy, not-too-sweet perfection. Thank you!! Will definitely make this as Christmas gifts for friends!

14. postedDec 5, 2011 8:16 AM

posted a comment last year – would love to know if there’s a way to keep the fudge more firm. Mine got very soft and when giving it as gifts, they stuck together and got mushy in the gift bags! Would love any suggestions as this is now a holiday MUST MAKE!!

• December 5th, 2011 @ 8:33 AM

Fudge can be a tricky thing sometimes. Cook it too long or at too high of a heat and it turns out dry and crumbly, and cook it not long enough and it won’t set up correctly. My hunch is that is what happened. Have you tried again?

15. postedDec 5, 2011 9:49 AM

Thanks, Lori! I have tried it a handful of times and had the same soft results but I’m betting you’re right about not cooking it long enough. I will keep trying until I get it right! THanks!

16. postedDec 6, 2011 12:52 AM

Lori, Could I put some real rum in the fudge? How much do I put in?

17. postedDec 18, 2011 9:53 AM

Made these last night without rum extract or rum and are still delicious.

18. postedDec 20, 2011 8:57 AM

made this last night… SO SO good!! thank you!

19. postedDec 23, 2011 11:47 AM
    Debbie V

Followed recipe to the letter (ie…measurements, hard boil 8 mins) then when I added the white chocolate, it melted and harded into a big ball. I stopped at this point. Not sure what went wrong.

• December 23rd, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

I am not sure! Candy can be kind of tricky sometimes. I’ve had some flops before I’ve had success before. Stove temperatures vary too, which contributes to that.

20. postedNov 10, 2012 12:47 PM

Just wondered if you can use bakers white choc in the egg nog fudge recipe instead of white choc bar?? Thanks

• November 11th, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

21. postedDec 3, 2012 3:12 PM
    Traci Fielden

I have made many different kinds of fudge but this one has me stumped. I can’t get it to set up. Since it has been in the fridge for now 24 hours and it is really sticky, can I reheat it? Should I add confectioners sugar to give it more form? Help….this is for an office party in 2 days!! Thanks.

• December 3rd, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Sounds like it cannot be rescued :( It must have something to do with the temperature… if you read through the comments, you’ll see that’s where things usually go wrong. I’m sorry you had trouble!

22. postedDec 14, 2012 11:16 AM

Every fudge recipe seems to use marshmallow creme….does it just make it more fluffy? What if I omit it? I never buy it and don’t really want to use it…

• December 16th, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

For this recipe, you need marshmallow creme.

23. postedDec 22, 2012 4:47 PM

@C. Michele–I know this question is a couple years old, but the answer is yes, you can use soy eggnog! I used Silk Nog and Ricemellow Creme (an egg and gelatin free marshmallow creme). It took 4.5 minutes to get to 234 degrees. Perfect.

24. postedDec 22, 2012 5:37 PM

I want to try this recipe. It looks good!
    If there is rainy weather sometimes candy
    Not come out right and gooey. Hope this
    helps too.

• December 23rd, 2012 @ 6:36 AM

You’re definitely right- the humidity in the air can affect the outcome of candy making!

25. postedDec 24, 2012 5:51 AM

Made this fudge for Christmas, must have done something wring cause it was more like a sticky mess then anthing, even after leaving it in the fridge over night!! Boo, I esa soo looking forward to eating it!!!

26. postedNov 18, 2013 4:43 PM

I tried this tonight. It’s more like rock candy than fudge. Any ideas what went wrong?

• November 20th, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

Most likely problems with temperature.

27. postedNov 25, 2013 6:02 AM

Can this be made with Splenda?

• November 25th, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

I don’t use Splenda, so I have no idea.

28. postedDec 3, 2013 1:35 PM

Okay, 100% sure I followed recipe exactly… shouldn’t it be liquid-ish still after mixing in the chocolate? (It’s already pretty thick, like cookie dough. Is that right? *embarrassed*

• December 3rd, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

Gosh, I’m trying to remember! How did it turn out?

29. postedDec 13, 2013 11:51 AM

Hi Lori….how many candy bars does this recipe need?? Says 10.5 oz but not quantity. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• December 13th, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

You need 10.5 ounces of white chocolate- sometimes it comes in bars, sometimes in chunks. Just look at the package and buy 10.5 ounces of it.

30. postedDec 15, 2013 4:54 PM

Can I use vanilla extract instead of rum extract? Or almond extract?

• December 18th, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

you can try!

31. postedDec 16, 2013 1:13 PM

Have you tried making this with milk or dark chocolate instead? Not a big fan of white chocolate and wondering if it would work to substitute….

• December 18th, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

I would think that milk or dark choc would drown out any taste of the eggnog.

32. postedDec 22, 2013 8:14 AM
    Sara G.

I made this last year and used mini marshmallows and white chocolate chips. It turned out great! My uncle kept eating it, and then he girlfriend said, “You should try one of these, they’re really good!” and he said, “Oh, yeah?” and had another piece even though he’d already had five, lol.

33. postedDec 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Everyone loved the eggnog fudge and the chocolate mint fudge. Thank You!

34. postedNov 12, 2014 5:39 PM

Is there anything i can replace the marshmallow creme with? Is the marshmallow creme the marshmallow sandwich spread? I am not familiar with this item, and don’t see it in my country his looks delicious! 😡

• November 23rd, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

I’m not sure- you might try googling substitutes for marshmallow creme.

35. postedNov 25, 2014 9:14 AM

Can I use Spiced Rum in place of extract? If so same amount?

• November 26th, 2014 @ 8:38 AM

Maybe! But I haven’t tried it…

36. postedDec 16, 2014 3:10 PM

Yum! Eggnog flavour is often underwhelming in desserts but it’s definitely the star here.

First time making fudge so I did some research in order to ensure it would set properly, as these little guys are headed on a road trip and won’t be staying chilled.

Make sure you boil for at least 5 minutes at 234F. It will get almost as thick as molasses and you’ll have to be very attentive to the edges and bottom of the pan to avoid hardening and burning.

The mixture will start hardening almost instantaneously once removed from the heat. Like the directions state, you will have to move quickly. I added half the choc chips then had to put my mixture back on the heat briefly as it was becoming too difficult to incorporate evenly – 1 minute back on the hot element (heat off) while stirring was enough to get all the choc perfectly incorporated. I then took it off the element to stir in the remaining ingredients. I found I had to work so quickly with the choc chips that I waited to add the nutmeg with the marshmallow cream and rum extract.

It has been 10 mins since it went in the pan and onto a cooling rack. No fridge time needed to harden.

Nailed it! Hope this helps y’all :)

37. postedDec 22, 2014 10:48 PM
    Rachel W.

Can this recipe be stored at room temp for a while? Would like to make it for my gift baskets, but prefer room temp stable recipes.

• December 23rd, 2014 @ 7:10 PM

should be fine.

38. postedDec 26, 2014 5:16 PM

Siri came across this recipe for me, and I had to try it immediately. I tried it almost as is, but made a couple of modifications:
    –I used Hershey’s white chocolate morsels instead of chocolate bars (I’m too lazy..)

–For the boil time of 8-10 minutes, I split the difference and boiled for 9

–Instead of 3/4 cup of egg nog, I used a full one.

–To safeguard on any temperature issues, (I don’t have a candy thermometer), I added 1/4 cup of caramel bits, and 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk. This way if my temperature was too high (turns pasty on the mixing), or too low (turns thin on the mixing), I was covered. At the end of mixing, it was velvety smooth and poured into the pan perfectly. No spreading to level; shake the pan a few times to level it out and pop that baby into the fridge. 30 minutes later it was set.

First time with this recipe and it turned out perfectly. Can’t wait to try the others.