Pumpkin French Toast with Crunchy Cinnamon Crust

Yep, it’s almost fall… so the fall recipe experimenting begins! It’s a bit too early though… I went to 4 markets before I could actually find a can of pure pumpkin puree. Apparently, it’s a “seasonal” item. But since I’m one of those people who will drive to the end of the earth to find what I need for a recipe, I endured the lengthy search. I’ll do anything for a recipe that I’m determined to make, and I’ll do anything for my boy… who has been craving pumpkin… and French Toast. I put together a little fall breakfast for my #1 Taste Tester: Pumpkin French Toast with Crunchy Cinnamon Crust.

It was a rather simple breakfast feast to put together, actually. A loaf of French bread had been sitting on the counter for a couple of days (the best kind for real French toast), and it was just waiting for me to think of a way to use it up.  I cut it into 3/4-inch to 1-inch slices and began with the regular French toast stuff… eggs, milk and cinnamon, but with added whipping cream, nutmeg, a splash of sugar and pumpkin, of course. And I wrestled the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal out of my 8 year old’s hands and covered egg-dipped toast in a crushed cinnamony crumbs.

A quick searing on both sides, keeping the skillet covered while cooking, and it turned out golden brown & ready for syrup.

There’s the distinct flavor of pumpkin in this French toast, and the bread absorbs all of the wonderful spices. The cinnamony crust is optional, but I thought it added a unique twist to the recipe. The bread stays soft and pillowy inside, and then a crusty layer forms on the outside.  My little guy gushed about the Pumpkin French Toast so much that I had to make a slice for myself too. I’m never a very good critic about my own cooking… always thinking things could be a little better or aren’t quite right, but I have to say that I thought this was really, really excellent. It was an unexpected recipe success, and I had to stop myself from eating a second piece. And then I went to the gym, so I can justify making this again tomorrow :)

This recipe can be found here: Pumpkin French Toast

48 Responses to “Pumpkin French Toast with Crunchy Cinnamon Crust”

Barista — September 12, 2009 @ 2:11 AM

I can’t wait to try this. I love all things pumpkin and it looks soooo good!

Yay fall!

Michelle — September 12, 2009 @ 2:58 AM

You’re making me hungry! This looks and sounds perfect for this Fall-like weather. Love the addition of the cereal for a little crunch too. Pretty creative!

HoneyB — September 12, 2009 @ 4:00 AM

AWESOME Lori! I’m bookmarking AND sharing on my FB Fan page this morning. I will definitely be making this! YUMMY!

Phoo-D — September 12, 2009 @ 4:07 AM

It is a misty morning here and pumpkin french toast sounds amazing. I love that you used Cinnamon Toast Crunch for the outside! What a fun breakfast.

katiek22 — September 12, 2009 @ 4:54 AM

Yum! I love pumpkin flavors which is why i dont mind the fast approaching fall. I read somewhere that the pumpkin season was bad awhile ago which is why finding cans of pure pumpkin might be difficult early in the season. I think the cinnamon toast crunch is a good addition as well!

Bellini Valli — September 12, 2009 @ 5:10 AM

Once the nights start to turn cooler and the days shorter we really do go into cocooning mode and this is the perfect homey dish.

Barbara — September 12, 2009 @ 5:16 AM

This looks perfect for fall. I would try it today if I had pumpkin in the pantry!

Sara — September 12, 2009 @ 5:40 AM

Wow, this looks wonderful. I’ve already eaten breakfast for today…but maybe I could make this for lunch. :) I can’t wait to try it.

Judy — September 12, 2009 @ 5:46 AM

What a great idea! I love pumpkin anything and French Toast. I still have some pumpkin in the freezer that I roasted and pureed last year that will be perfect for this!

Katie — September 12, 2009 @ 5:51 AM

Love pumpkin for breakfast! I made pumpkin pie oatmeal the other day and it was so good. I’ll have to try t his one too, and the idea of the crushed cereal is too cool.

kat — September 12, 2009 @ 5:55 AM

Oh how tasty! Can’t believe it was so hard to find pumpkin puree

Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewy — September 12, 2009 @ 6:03 AM

This looks divine, Lori! French Toast is one of my all time favorite breakfast dishes. The pumpkin sounds like a great addition and the crunchy cereal crust is brilliant!

Fuji Mama — September 12, 2009 @ 6:09 AM

Oh yum! I love anything pumpkin, and this looks divine. I did a pumpkin week on La Fuji Mama last year…now you’ve got me thinking about doing a 2nd one!

Leslie Green — September 12, 2009 @ 6:14 AM

Oh sooo yummy. I love love love pumpkin.
    I can believe your stores dont carry the Libbys brand all year long.

CookiePie — September 12, 2009 @ 6:16 AM

That looks fantastic!!!

Tiffany — September 12, 2009 @ 6:18 AM

I think my kids will love this. Yum!

BethieofVA — September 12, 2009 @ 6:25 AM

LOVE pumpkin. I think I might need to try this. YUMMY!!!!

Jamie — September 12, 2009 @ 6:27 AM

I love pumpkin. I am so excited for Fall food. Last year I picked up extra cans of pumpkin so I could enjoy pumpkin creations through the end of winter.

Stef — September 12, 2009 @ 6:42 AM

Yum! French Toast + Pumpkin what could be bad?

Amanda — September 12, 2009 @ 6:51 AM

Wow, this looks incredible! I am a pumpkin fanatic and I haven’t eaten breakfast yet. I need to wipe the drool off my chin now.

southern hostess — September 12, 2009 @ 10:19 AM

This sounds like heaven. I love all things pumpkin.

pigpigscorner — September 12, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

This looks and sounds amazing! Love the pumpkin and the crunch!

Gera @ SweetsFoods — September 12, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

Adore it!! A French flavor to enjoy this weekend :)

Cheers!

Gera

Joan Nova — September 12, 2009 @ 5:52 PM

I love pumpkin and will definitely be trying this one. Thanks.

Sues — September 12, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

This looks like heaven!! I will be making it ASAP!! Perfect for brunch on a nice, cool morning!

grace — September 13, 2009 @ 4:16 AM

best use for cinnamon toast crunch EVER. :)

VeggieGirl — September 13, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

That is THE best looking fall breakfast EVER.

Kerstin — September 13, 2009 @ 9:51 AM

LOVE this. what a perfect breakfast! I’m planning on looking for pumpkin at the store today and hope I can find it – they didn’t have it at Trader Joe’s yesterday, where I usually get it…

Hallie — September 13, 2009 @ 2:30 PM

Wow what an awesome recipe! It’s a great concept, really. I can see making a banana version instead, or peanut butter or something. And I think when (not if, haha) I make this I’ll use my Cinnamon Puffins since I don’t have Cinnamon Toast Crunch around. But I wanted to say, I’m surprised too you don’t have the Libby’s stuff at your local Vons. I have it at mine (well, in Clairemont) year round and sometimes at Trader Joe’s. It’s only on sale during the holidays though…this year I’m stocking up!

Katie — September 13, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

This recipe looks delicious. I also needed pumpkin puree last week and had to get a raincheck! I am glad I am not the only one in the mood for pumpkin recipes!

shelley — September 13, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

I love your site! Everything looks amazing!
    I am wanting the French Toast Now!
    You do beautiful photography also.
    Thanks for sharing
    Shelley

patsyk — September 13, 2009 @ 4:58 PM

My oldest would love this recipe! We always have Cinnamon Toast Crunch in our cabinet, and I love the idea of adding it to French Toast!

Lynn — September 13, 2009 @ 4:59 PM

Oh, wow, what a perfect breakfast to celebrate the beginning of pumpkin season. Bring it on! I bought a 3 pack of pumpkin puree at Costco and can’t wait to get going on the pumpkin baking.

Jenny — September 13, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

Looks so beautiful Lori!! I really want to make this one soon. Don’t you just love fall baking?!!

Jamie — September 13, 2009 @ 6:30 PM

I came to your site to get the recipe for that incredible caramel tofee ice cream sandwich dessert. I saw the words pumpkin and french toast together and had to stay for more. What a great combo. So happy fall baking is here.

ingrid — September 13, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

MMMMmmm, that sounds really good.
    ~ingrid

Alisa -Frugal Foodie — September 13, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

Oh yum! You are incredible! Definitely worth the miles.

Jen @ MaplenCornbrea — September 14, 2009 @ 2:56 AM

I know what I want for breakfast!!!!!!! I LOVE pumpkin anything and everything! mmmmm!!!

Tracy @ Sugarcrafter — September 14, 2009 @ 6:11 AM

Oh, this looks amazing!! I love pumpkin ANYTHING, so I will definitely have to give this a try!

Sara @ Our Best Bites — September 14, 2009 @ 6:51 AM

Yum! I was waiting for this one. It looks fantastic, and I’m so glad you used Cinnamon Toast Crunch in it because that is a staple at our house!

Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) — September 14, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

This is why I love fall! Pumpkin everything!

misty — September 14, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

i can’t get the recipe page to load…

Colleen — September 15, 2009 @ 8:22 AM

This looks AMAZING! Perfect for fall.

maris — September 16, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

This looks SO GOOD! I love pumpkin ANYTHING especially in the Fall. This year I had pumpkin ravioli and I just made pumpkin butter but the Fall is only just beginning :)

Terri Archibald — September 22, 2009 @ 2:38 PM

I too am a pumpkin fanatic! You mentioned your dilmemna in trying to find pumpkin…after the umpteenth trip to try and find some last night I happened upon a note on the shelf at one of the stores. It explained that there was a shortage of canned pumpkin and that it would be replenished until the current crop is processed – mid-October! In the meantime I’m still “looking” for pumpkin with hopes of stumbling upon it. I don’t know if I can wait another 3 weeks!!!

jennywenny — September 24, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

Ha! Thankfully henry’s had some so I managed to get some for my cupcakes this weekend. Have fun at blogher this weekend!

Katie @ Oh Shine On — September 15, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Ob-freaking-sessed.

Ali @ Inspiralized — September 26, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

This reminds me of a toast that my grandmother used to make for me when I was a little girl. I am SO happy you’ve posted this up! Can’t wait to try it. Beautiful!