Kumquat Marmalade w/ Orange-Pecan English Muffin Bread

We acquired some new toys recently… a foosball table, a ping pong table and a dart board.  And this means that our place has become the new ”hang-out” for the boys in the neighborhood (and also the men who want to come over in the evening, smoke cigars & play boy games).  What does this have to do with kumquats?  Well, nothing at all, really.  But we did host a manly sort of Happy Hour last week, where we broke in all of the new toys and shared appetizers with friends.  One of my friends brought me the most beautiful basket of kumquats from her yard.

I’d seen these little fruits before, but Lord knows I had never cooked with them (or even tasted them) before.  Oh, how I love a challenge!

If you’re as unfamiliar with kumquats as I was, here’s a little information about them from Wiki: Kumquats are often eaten raw. As the rind is sweet and the juicy center is sour and salty, the raw fruit is usually consumed either whole—to savour the contrast—or only the rind is eaten. Culinary uses include: candying, preserves, marmalade, and jelly. Kumquats have begun to appear as a martini garnish, in lieu of the classic olive. They can also be sliced and added to salads. A liqueur can be made by macerating kumquats in vodka or other clear spirit.

I decided to make them into Kumquat Marmalade.

Here’s the pictoral how-to:

All finished… now what to serve it with? I thought I might make English Muffins… I’d always wanted to do that, but it seemed like too much work. I decided on English Muffin Bread- Whole Wheat, Orange-Pecan English Muffin Bread to be exact. It turned out to be a really good choice. One loaf to eat now, and one loaf to freeze and eat next week.

My surprise gift of Kumquats has turned into a wonderful breakfast treat that keeps on giving. The recipe makes nearly 2 cups of marmalade, so we’ve been sampling it on this bread, toast, bagels, etc. for a couple of weeks now. Delicious :)

Complete instructions for the marmalade recipe can be found here:
Kumquat Marmalade

The bread recipe can be found here:
Whole Wheat Orange- Pecan English Muffin Bread

30 Responses to “Kumquat Marmalade w/ Orange-Pecan English Muffin Bread”

Sophie — April 22, 2010 @ 1:52 AM

Waw!! Your bread & that marmelade looks so COOL & fabulous!! Another must make recipe from yours!!

MMMMMM,..very tasty!!

Julia — April 22, 2010 @ 2:32 AM

Wow, your photos are great! And interesting factoid about what to discard. I just thought you would use everything.

• Lori Lange replied: — April 22nd, 2010 @ 5:20 AM

@Julia, Me too! I had a lot of advice on what to discard from my Twitter friends :)

Jessica @ How Sweet — April 22, 2010 @ 2:33 AM

That looks so yummy! I have never had kumquats, would love to try!

Jalanda — April 22, 2010 @ 4:08 AM

I love marmalade… and this version looks delicious! And English muffin? Come on! They just go together. You upped the “yum” factor with orange and pecan flavor in the bread. I have marked this to try!!! Soon!!!

b — April 22, 2010 @ 5:21 AM

Such a gorgeous color and it looks so easy. I’m sure it was fabulous on some hot muffin bread.

Fran — April 22, 2010 @ 6:56 AM

It looks so wonderful and all done in the microwave! The stove top method worked well, but this is so much faster and it will allow me to use a button other than defrost or reheat for a change!

Manggy — April 22, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

Oh man, that’s amazing. I’ve GOT to use my microwave more creatively from now on :)

kirbie — April 22, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

I have a whole bag of kumquats I need to use up. I’ve been thinking of making candied ones or jam or something, but it sounded exhausting. Your step by step looks easy and I love that I can do it in the microwave! Now to make some marmalade this weekend.

Barbara — April 23, 2010 @ 3:21 AM

I used to put a bowl of these out for decoration around Christmastime and my grandaughter would come along and bite into them. I’d look each day and there would be little tooth marks in all the kumquats!
    Great idea to make jam out of these little gems!

rose — April 23, 2010 @ 7:24 AM

THANK YOU for such a colorful/helpful/simple tutorial…and for making our decisions as to what to serve it with!!! Great all the way around!!!

Gera @ SweetsFoods — April 23, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

I’m not familiar with Kumquats, even I don’t know when is the season here or if they are available but for sure, If I find them I’ll try this marmalade, it looks outstanding!!

Cheers,

Gera

Charles Thompson — April 23, 2010 @ 11:15 AM

Wow! That looks so good – both the relish and that amazing looking bread. It’s lunchtime and I haven’t had breakfast so now I’m really hungry. Will give this a try!

Mrs. L — April 23, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

Second kumquat recipe I’ve come across today. So wish my Grams kumquat tree was still there. We used to just eat them off the tree, and though I did’t think anyone every cooked with them I think she made marmalade or jam with them. I’ll have to check with the relatives.

Nicole — April 24, 2010 @ 3:07 AM

Wow, that looks amazing! Now I’m super hungry!!

Amy — April 24, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

They’re so cute! I just had kumquats raw for the first time a few months back – just popped the whole thing in my mouth. In my opinion, sliced super thin in a salad is much better than whole. And this marmalade looks so yum AND simple – who would’ve thought? It would be a perfect addition to a ladies luncheon or brunch. Can’t wait to try it out.

Shiela — November 20, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

I came across your kamquat recipe and your site for the first time. I am so IMPRESSED with the clarity and ease with which you seem to have put it together. Brilliant. Thank you for bringing some happiness in my life.

Doug — December 1, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

Thanks for this great kumquat marmalade recipe. I have a tree overflowing with them and hate for them to go to waste. Going out and buy the jars to put it up. Thanks again. Do you know how to do strawberry guava jam???

Pamela Steeley — December 12, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

I made this today! It is very good. I especially like your directions with the pictures. I didn’t know to throw out the inner pith. Also liked being able to use the microwave. It made it easy? Thanks!
    Haven’t made the bread yet.

toni — January 29, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

I just found your blog looking for kumquat recipes – this one seems the most simple and i LOVE your directions, using the photos and the font is awesome :D I’m using this for thumbprint valentine hearts :D

Greg — February 4, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

Worked so easy. I made a batch for my dad (90) and he remembers and loves kumquats from his youth. Maybe I missed the line where you tell “how many kumquats to use”. Did you?

swan — March 6, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I found your recipe through google and have just finished making it. Its cooling – and I just sneaked a little spoon out for tasing – it’s great and the recipe works wonders, cleaning the kumquats is the most work! I added a teaspoon of homemade vanilla extract (just stirred in after the last microwave-blast)- tastes great!
    Thank you!

natasha — March 21, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

i just made it and it’s amazing. your pictures inspired me to make it immediately. my microwave must be a lot stronger because I microwaved for 3 mins the first time, and then 6 mins total in 2 mins bursts, and the mixture is definitely thicker than yours, more like candy. delicious!

Zachary — April 5, 2011 @ 1:30 AM

I have been making microwave jams for years, and this recipe is great. I suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon margarine or butter to prevent too much foaming during cooking and reminding the viewers that the 15 minute cook time is counted only after the mix starts to boil (for a standard microwave oven).

Tamara — January 21, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Found this by random and was inspired to make the marmalade this morning. My Great Aunt had given me a basket of these little jewels and having never tasted nor made anything with them, I was determined not to waste them. I have tasted orange marmalade and was never impressed with it. This is amazing! Wonderful taste and your recipe is so fast and easy :) thanks!

Nattie — January 23, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

My husband and I made the marmalade last night; we recently moved into a house with a kumquat bush and we wanted to do something with them. It turned out great and was super easy (well, aside from cutting them apart, but that can’t be helped)! I separated it out into three 4oz jars and we’re going to give away a few as gifts. Thanks for posting this!

Jenn Sutherland — March 25, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Thanks for this SUPER simple recipe, Lori! Seeding and de-pithing takes longer than the actual cooking, but it’s totally worth the effort. I’ll be savoring this jar of marmalade for the next few weeks!

Karen — April 1, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Wow, fantastic recipe!! I never thought of making it in the microwave….I made kumquat marmalade about 25 years ago and I seem to recall standing over a hot stove for *ages*! Using a food processor also definitely streamlined the process. As I have a bumper crop of kumquats this season, now I’m thinking about candying some rinds. Thanks for a great recipe!

Leah Ayers — May 10, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I’ll pass on the Microwave tip and white sugar and use my stove top and use less refined sugar like fruit juice, honey or cane sugar. I ENJOYED your COLORFUL photos. Thank you for sharing every step with us!!