posted in Christmas

Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

Here’s a new variety to try for the holidays this year:  Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

Please don’t tell me you eat the stuff in the can… the gelatinous, cylindrical-shaped, metal-tasting blob of cranberry sauce that slides out the can.  You don’t, do you??  If you’re still absorbed in the mindset of eating canned cranberry sauce, I’m going to let you in on a little secret:  Once you make it homemade, you will absolutely never want the stuff in the can again!

Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Fresh cranberry sauce is incredibly easy to make.  All it takes is boiling the cranberries with a bit of orange juice, sugar and spices, and it quickly breaks down and turns into “sauce!”

Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce Recipe -

This variety has chunks of apple mixed in.  I spiced it up with ginger and cinnamon too.  You’ll want to double the batch for your Thanksgiving dinner.  Triple it if you have cranberry sauce lovers in the house!  Now go forth and make some homemade cranberry sauce for your Thanksgiving dinner this year!

Yield: About 3 cups

Prep Time: 12 min

Cook Time: 15 min

Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

One 12-ounce bag cranberries (about 3 cups)
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the cranberries begin to pop and break down. Simmer until it begins to thicken. It will thicken more when left at room temperature or when refrigerated. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Other cranberry sauce recipes on the blogs you might enjoy:
Fig Cranberry Sauce by the Kitchn
Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe by RecipeGirl
Maple- Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce by Family Fresh Cooking
Raspberry Cranberry Sauce by A Spicy Perspective
Maple- Tangerine Cranberry Sauce by RecipeGirl

17 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce”

1. postedNov 20, 2014 9:14 AM

Can you believe my boys prefer the canned stuff???

We are hosting Thanksgiving with my in-laws on our new farm this year and I asked my guys if they wanted me to make homemade cranberry sauce and they all said “No, we want the canned stuff”. It is something I inherited from my in-laws.

• November 20th, 2014 @ 10:38 AM

I’d make it anyways 😉

2. postedNov 20, 2014 10:11 AM

I have many family members that prefer jellied, canned cranberry sauce. Not for me! I look forward to fresh cranberry sauce, and this sounds right up my alleys with the apples, orange, and cinnamon!

• November 20th, 2014 @ 10:38 AM

I used to like the jellied kind sliced and added to turkey sandwiches, but after making homemade for so many years now… the other stuff really and truly tastes like metal to me!

3. postedNov 20, 2014 10:40 AM

I love the addition of apples in this recipe and you seriously cannot beat the gorgeous color of homemade cranberry sauce!

4. postedNov 20, 2014 1:19 PM

I grew up on the canned stuff, so that’s why I have such a strong hatred for it 😉 I PROMISE I’ll give the real stuff a try sometime!

5. postedNov 20, 2014 3:00 PM

Ha, well, I’ll totally fess up. I’m on the fence about homemade vs canned. I’ve made homemade and I haven’t been blown away with what I’ve made. I know it seems kind of crazy to prefer something out of a can, but I’m still holding out until I can make the perfect cranberry sauce. And the canned ones have some very vivid memories for me from my childhood. This one here looks and sounds wonderful! I really love the idea of apples in my cranberry sauce. Maybe I’ve found the one?? 🙂

6. postedNov 21, 2014 3:07 AM

My brothers love the jellied can kind but all the girls in the family are all about the fresh homemade sauce. Yours looks gorgeous! I love the apple, orange and cinnamon flavors – it sounds perfect!

7. postedNov 22, 2014 11:56 AM

OK, I’ve never done it before, but this recipe has convinced me to stop pleading for my mom to make the cranberry sauce and to make it myself! (I can already taste it on my post-Thanksgiving sandwich!). Happy Thanksgiving, Lori! 🙂

8. postedNov 23, 2014 2:06 PM

Cranberry sauce is one of my favorite parts of the Thanksgiving meal! And this seems like a great twist to the classic one!

9. postedNov 26, 2014 2:11 AM

Looks delicious! I’ll definitely be making this one for my turkey this year!!

10. postedNov 28, 2014 11:23 PM

I tried this for thanksgiving and I loved, loved, loved it! I have a super strict diet due to nursing my little girl who has food intolerances, so I used honey, not sugar and lemon water. It was so good I couldn’t believe it. Thanks so much for sharing… It helped put a little thanksgiving flavor into the day! There is much I cannot have on Thanksgiving so this made me super happy. Thanks again!

11. postedDec 20, 2014 12:13 AM
    Brian McAra

My favorite is to use red wine as the liquid with a cinnamon stick and finely grated orange zest. Think home made cranberries and mulled wine.

12. postedDec 21, 2014 3:52 PM

Hi there

I’m excited to make this for Christmas dinner. Can it be made ahead? How,ong will it keep for?

• December 23rd, 2014 @ 7:20 PM

It will be fine made a day or two ahead.

13. postedNov 28, 2015 8:42 PM

How long can the leftovers be refrigerated?

• December 3rd, 2015 @ 9:25 PM