Try this Apple Cranberry Crisp for your next fall baking project. Apples and Cranberries are baked with a sweet oat topping. Individual servings are topped with a maple-sweetened whipped cream.
It’s that time of year that we all become quite enamored with pumpkin, apples and cranberries. There’s something about the crisp feel to the air, the leaves turning colors and the desire to eat warm and comforting foods that contribute to the desire to bake.
An Apple Cranberry Crisp is the perfect recipe to kick off your fall baking obsession. Apples and cranberries are a perfect pairing. They’re delicious when baked together.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
This recipe calls for Granny Smith apples, which can be quite tart. Since cranberries are tart as well, a good amount of sweetness is added in to balance everything out and create a fabulous dessert.
There is some regular white sugar tossed with the fruit in the filling of this Apple Cranberry Crisp recipe. I’m pretty crazy about the oat topping on this crisp. The brown sugar, butter and cinnamon ooze down into the fruit while baking. That gives the tart fruit the sweetness it needs to turn it into such a delicious fall dessert.
Apple Cranberry Crisp topped with Maple Whipped Cream
If you can time it just right, plan to serve this Apple Cranberry Crisp warm and just out of the oven. It’s also okay to heat up individual servings to warm them up a bit before serving.
The simple maple whipped cream is a nice accompaniment to this dessert. Vanilla ice cream is also a favorite to top this warm crisp.
If you’re looking for more fall baking recipes, you might also like to try my Maple Apple Tartlets or this Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake. Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Pumpkin Fudge and Dutch Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars would be delicious desserts to serve in the fall too!
Apple Cranberry Crisp with Maple Whipped Cream
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 8 large Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored & cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 1/3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 9x13-inch pan.
- Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in walnuts, if using. Cover and refrigerate (this mixture may be prepared 1 day ahead).
- Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl; toss gently. Transfer fruit to prepared dish. Sprinkle refrigerated topping over fruit.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until apples are tender and topping browns, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
PREPARE MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM:
- In a large bowl, whip cream to soft peaks. Beat in 1 Tablespoon of syrup. Taste, adding more syrup if sweeter flavor is desired. Continue whipping to firm peaks.
- Spoon warm crisp into bowls. Top each with a dollop of maple whipped cream and serve.
- Note: The optional nuts in the recipe are not included in the nutritional information.