The next time you’re asked to bring a dish to a party, bring this: Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad
It’s funny because I pretty much think of the typical pasta salad as having been around forever. I used to make them in college with a quick toss of Italian dressing. And I made huge tubs of pasta salad for parties when I worked for a caterer back in the day. The truth is: everyone loves a good pasta salad!
Now that I’m older and much, much wiser… I still make a good pasta salad. Nowadays though I add in plenty of fresh vegetables and I toss it all with a very simple, homemade vinaigrette. I think the dressing can make all the difference in a pasta salad, so homemade is the way to go!
Oh, and since I’m addicted to cheese all day every day… I add in cheese cubes too. This is the perfect recipe for bringing to a potluck party. It’s easy to make, and you can prepare it several hours ahead. Just toss it again lightly before serving.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad
- 12 to 16 ounces rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large zucchini or yellow squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cubed sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped (white and some green)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake until well blended. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Here are a few more pasta salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad by Cook Crave Inspire
- Greek Pasta Salad by RecipeGirl
- Creamy Cheddar Pasta Salad by Center Cut Cook
- Pizza Pasta Salad by RecipeGirl