Here’s a pretty coffee cake recipe to make for summer breakfast and brunch parties: Upside Down Berry Cornmeal Coffee Cake
It’s your typical upside down cake… made in a round pan with the fruit placed on the bottom so it’s all bright and gorgeous when you flip it upside down to serve.
It’s a lightly sweetened cake with a little bit of a crunch from the cornmeal. The berries make it sweeter, and they give it a super summery vibe too!
Grab the most freshest, most beautiful berries you can find for this cake. Slices would also be delightful with a small spoonful of cream on top.
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Upside Down Berry Cornmeal Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries and raspberries
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup blueberries and raspberries
- small mint or basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray, line with parchment paper, and spray again. Arrange 1 1/2 cups of berries on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk and oil. Add to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Spread the batter evenly over the berries in the pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife along the edge to loosen; invert onto a plate. Peel off the parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients. Brush the glaze evenly over the top of the warm cake. Arrange berries and mint or basil on top.
Here are a few more coffee cake recipes you may enjoy:
- Orange Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping by Fifteen Spatulas
- Classic Crumb Cake by RecipeGirl
- Brown Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake by Two Peas and Their Pod
- Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping by RecipeGirl
Hotel Zelos San Francisco – Union Square : a Review Next Post »
Gluten Free Strawberry Cake