These Whole Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins are a good way to use up fresh blackberries.
Muffins are one of those things I’m always baking. I love to store them in the freezer so I can take out one at a time to enjoy whenever the muffin mood strikes.
This Whole Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins recipe calls for frozen blackberries, but you really just use fresh blackberries and put them in the freezer until solid. If you try to chop fresh blackberries that aren’t frozen, you’ll have quite a mess on your hands and your muffins will turn out to be an odd shade of purple. Freeze, then chop!
If you’re looking for a whole grain kind of fruity muffin, this is one to try. It has half whole wheat flour and half white flour. Oats are also added in. There is one cup of brown sugar in the recipe. I find that yields just the right amount of sweetness for 17 muffins. There are only 3 tablespoons butter in the recipe, so it’s lower fat.
If you’re on the Weight Watchers program, each muffin counts as 6 Freestyle SmartPoints. I feel like that’s worth it. Because these are whole grain, they’re quite filling. Grab some fresh blackberries, and bake some muffins!
If you’re looking for more fruity muffin recipes, I have some suggestions for you. Apple Fritter Muffins are a favorite. Whole Grain Banana Muffins are always another good whole grain choice. I’m pretty crazy about these Cinnamon Roll Muffins too.
Whole Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins
A delicious muffin recipe to use up fresh blackberries!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blackberries, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 17 muffin cups with paper liners and spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through allspice). Make a well in the center of the mixture. In a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Gently stir in blackberries.
Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle each lightly with sugar. Bake for 16 minutes, or until center springs back when touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks.
- *WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER MUFFIN: Freestyle SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus Program: 4, Old Points Program: 3
- *You can use fresh blackberries, but place them in the freezer until they are frozen. Coarsely chop blackberries, then place them back into the freezer until ready to use. If they thaw too much, they will turn your muffins purple.