This Whole Grain Apple Cake is a healthier (delicious) option for fall baking.
When you’re craving something a little sweet, but you don’t want anything over-the-top, crazy-sweet, then this whole grain apple cake is the sweet treat to bake! It’s a sweet cake with plenty of sugar and warm fall spices, but it doesn’t have a lot of fat in it. A light dusting of powdered sugar on top instead of a thick-layer of frosting makes it more like a snack cake than a dessert.
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- vegetable or canola oil
- egg whites
- all purpose flour
- whole wheat flour
- oat bran
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon and ground allspice
- powdered sugar
How to make Whole Grain Apple Cake:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Cut into small squares to serve.
This whole grain apple cake stays nice and moist because of the addition of plenty of juicy apple. Cover leftover with plastic wrap, and eat within a few days. That shouldn’t be too hard to do! Enjoy!
The Best Apple Cake Recipes:
- Apple Cake with Hot Caramel Rum Sauce
- Chopped Apple Cake with Sticky Toffee Topping
- Caramel Apple Cake
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Cake
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Whole Grain Apple Cake
- ⅔ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded, unpeeled apples
- powdered sugar (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch pyrex pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, oil and egg whites. Beat with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the flours, oat bran, baking soda, and spices. Stir just until moistened. Gently stir in the shredded apples.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool.
- If desired, sift powdered sugar on top of the cake. Cut into small squares to serve.