These Whole Grain Banana Muffins are a lighter muffin recipe for you to try. Sometimes eating a muffin is just like eating cake. This banana muffin recipe is one the healthier side of things. It’s nothing like eating cake, which is a good thing!
Whole Grain Banana Muffins
If you’re looking for a little something to bake this week, then this should be it. You definitely need some ripe bananas, but if you have some ripe bananas lying around then you can whip these up in nothing flat.
The ripe bananas are important because you want the sweetness they convey. These muffins only have 1/2 cup sugar in them, but that sweetness from the bananas really shines through and adds to that overall sweet flavor.
Whole Grain Banana Muffins are made with whole wheat flour and oats, a minimal amount of sugar, a little bit of butter and skim milk. It’s absolutely do-able to use more healthful ingredients and still end up with a good muffin.
I like to make these for a grab and go kind of breakfast during the week. Bake a batch on the weekend, and then pop each muffin into a zip baggie and throw them into the freezer. Take one out each night so it’s ready to grab and go the next morning.
If you have kids who like to open the pantry and grab processed snacks to munch on all day long, these muffins are a great option to have around for snacking. They’re so much better for you than a bag of cheese crackers.
Warm muffins are the best!
When you make these muffins at home, heat them briefly in the microwave and eat them while they’re nice and warm. Spread a little bit of softened butter on them, and they’re even more delicious.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers Freestyle program, the point totals are included at the top of this post. I think it’s totally worth it to spend points on a muffin!
Thanks to Serene from the HouseOfYumm blog for these beautiful photos. Serene is one of the photographers for RecipeGirl.com, and she captured the deliciousness of these muffins perfectly!
Whole Grain Banana Muffins
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 large egg), beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups, or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. In separate bowl, combine bananas, butter, milk and egg whites; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (do not over mix).
- Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm.