Banana Bran Muffins are a healthier version of banana muffins that are delicious too!
I’m a firm believer in having muffins on hand at all times. They’re such an easy, grab-and-go kind of morning meal. And since everyone always has bananas going brown on their countertops, baking banana muffins makes a lot of sense. These Banana Bran Muffins are excellent muffins to bake with your ripe bananas. And the addition of wheat bran adds a nutritious boost.
- brown sugar
- ripe bananas
- nonfat milk
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- wheat bran
- baking powder
- baking soda
- pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
How to make Banana Bran Muffins:
In one bowl, use an electric mixer to combine brown sugar, applesauce and butter. Then add mashed ripe bananas, milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients: flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until moistened. Divide the batter between the muffin cups.
Regarding the muffin tin: you can add paper liners, or you can spray it with nonstick spray and just make muffins without liners.
This recipe makes 12 muffins. Store at room temperature in a sealed bag or container for up to three days. These banana bran muffins also freeze well. Just keep in a sealed freezer baggie or sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost as you want to enjoy them!
About Wheat Bran:
Look for wheat bran in your market’s cereal or baking aisle. It’s usually sold in a jar, and it’s in powder form. Wheat bran is an excellent source of fiber, and it’s good for digestive and heart health. Use the leftovers to sprinkle into other baked goods, top cereal or yogurt and add to smoothies.
These banana bran muffins are 192 calories per muffin. If you are following the WW diet plan, each muffin will count for 6 points on any color plan. These are delicious breakfast muffins for anyone- even if you aren’t trying to eat healthy. If you like a little chocolate in the morning, be sure to try my Honey Sweetened Low Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins too. Enjoy!
Banana Bran Muffins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can substitute cinnamon)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the brown sugar, applesauce and butter together until fluffy. Add the bananas, milk, eggs and vanilla; mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining (dry) ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until moistened. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the cups for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.