This simply delicious recipe for Fresh Strawberry Scones is a delicious cream scone recipe with chopped fresh strawberries baked into them.
Scones are a great grab-and-go kind of breakfast. They freeze beautifully, so make a batch and freeze a few of them individually wrapped so they’re easy to pull out to defrost and enjoy. Fresh strawberry scones have a bit of sweet strawberry in every bite. They’re sweet and delicious.
- fresh strawberries
- white sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder and salt
- half and half or whipping cream
- coarse sugar
If you want to add a little whole grain into this recipe, substitute half of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour (1 cup of each). And you can turn them into blueberry or raspberry scones by substituting the fruit.
How to make Fresh Strawberry Scones:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. Preheat the oven to 400°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with nonstick spray).
Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
Bake these light and refreshing fresh strawberry scones to enjoy for breakfast. They’re pretty and cheerful and delicious. And the best part about a good scone recipe is that it’s not dry. This recipe turns out scones with a tender, moist crumb. Enjoy!
The Best Recipes for Scones:
- Gingerbread Scones
- Cinnamon Bun Scones
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- Copycat Starbucks Vanilla Bean Scones
- Berry Scones
Fresh Strawberry Scones
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar, divided (I used maple sugar- fabulous!)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, in cubes, slightly softened
- ⅔ cup half and half or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease a cookie sheet).
- In a small bowl, sprinkle strawberries with ½ tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- Combine remaining sugar with flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with pastry cutter or 2 knives (can use your fingers too). When a good crumb mixture has formed, stir in strawberries and cream. Gently stir the dough until it comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just a few times until dry ingredients are incorporated. If dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet and pat into a circle that is about ¾-inch thick. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Pull wedges out from center of circle to create ½-inch space between each scone.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake 5 to 10 more minutes, or until scones are golden brown and spring back when touched. Don't over-bake, or your scones will be dry.
- You may substitute half of the flour for whole wheat flour, if you'd like.