Perfectly delicious holiday breakfast: Gingerbread Scones
A simple scone with the flavors of gingerbread… that’s what these are! They are perfect for dunking in coffee on wintery mornings, and they are a nice addition to a holiday breakfast or brunch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) chilled butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon coarse sugar, for sprinkling over scones (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Blend the first 6 ingredients in food processor (through cloves). Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat milk, egg, molasses and vanilla to blend in large bowl. Add flour mixture and dried fruit (if using); stir gently until dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball. On lightly floured surface, press dough into a 1-inch-thick round. Cut the round into 8 wedges, (OR pat the dough into a circle and cut with a cookie cutter).
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.