Healthy Chocolate Chip- Oatmeal Cookies

Love these “healthier” cookies:  Healthy Chocolate Chip- Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 30 cookies

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 12 min

Healthy Chocolate Chip- Oatmeal Cookies

Why deny yourself sweet treats when you can have a cookie as good as this... guilt-free?

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped, pitted dates
3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets (or line w/ parchment or silpat mats).

2. Place butter in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Melt in microwave, just until completely melted. Remove from microwave and add brown sugar. Stir until smooth.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flours, baking soda & salt. Stir into butter sugar mixture along with egg, vanilla and dates. Fold in chopped chocolate and mix well.

4. Drop Tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until they appear to be set and not gooey in the middles.

*FYI- I *hate* dates, and I loved these cookies. If the dates are chopped finely, you really can't detect them in the cookies at all. You'll sometimes find them in containers in the produce section but they're also available in the dried fruits section and are packaged just like dried cranberries.
*There's a good reason for using chopped chocolate over chocolate chips in this recipe. If you use chopped chocolate, the little shards of chocolate get more spread out in the cookies and therefore get more of a chocolate flavor in each cookie. You can certainly sub chocolate chips, but I'd recommend using the mini chocolate chips to get the same spread-out chocolate effect.

Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1 cookie
Calories per serving: 99
Fat per serving: 2g
Fiber per serving: 1.25g
Protein per serving: 1.5g
Cholesterol per serving: 13mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 16.5g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 2 Old Points Program: 2.5

Source: (Adapted from Health)

19 Responses to “Healthy Chocolate Chip- Oatmeal Cookies”

1. postedJan 23, 2010 6:50 AM

I actually made this recipe a couple of years ago and it is my favorite CC cookie. Love it.
    Glad that you found it and enjoyed it too! They look great

2. postedJan 23, 2010 7:30 AM

These sound amazing – especially the part where they’re 99 calories!

Are the pitted dates dried? Where do you find them in the supermarket? I’ve never used them and I wonder if you could sub something else for dates…I don’t know what but it might be time to get creative. :)

• January 23rd, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

Maris- yes, the dates are dried.l You’ll sometimes find them in containers in the produce section but they’re also available in the dried fruits section and are packaged just like dried cranberries. “Sunsweet” brand California Dried Pitted Dates are what I used.

• January 19th, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

Dates are usually where the dried fruit section is. A famous brand is Dromedary. They come whole, pitted, and chopped. The chopped have the least flavor and texture and are sometimes dried out but you might want them for convenience. Dried dates are sticky to chop.

3. postedJan 23, 2010 12:09 PM

what an interesting recipe :)

4. postedJan 23, 2010 4:00 PM

Thanks for the great recipe Lori :)

5. postedJan 25, 2010 7:35 AM

I did a similar version last week, but with cranberries. I didn’t add the ww flour either, but great idea!! They look great!!

6. postedJan 25, 2010 7:57 AM

i have to try these-yum!

7. postedJan 25, 2010 8:16 AM

This sounds like something I could devour for breakfast about now. When will I ever learn not to come over here while hungry!

8. postedJan 25, 2010 12:43 PM

I LOVE the idea of the dates in these! What a great way to cut down on processed sugars and boost moisture! Look forward to making them! :)

9. postedJan 25, 2010 4:51 PM

I love dates. I can only imagine how delicious they would make a cookie. Definitely making this soon.

10. postedAug 22, 2010 10:51 AM
    Kristin Sollars

To say these cookies are good is an understatement!!! They are the most amazing cookies I’ve ever made. I totally do not like dates, I would eat around them in Muselix, but man these are seriously the best cookies!

• August 22nd, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

@Kristin Sollars, I’m so glad you liked these! I’m with you- hate dates in most things for sure.

11. postedJun 12, 2011 1:11 PM
    Jacque Ibarra

I have made these so many times for family gatherings, that my family specifically asks me to make them every time! They are super delicious, and the best cookies I have ever made!

12. postedJun 16, 2011 6:59 PM

i would like to make these but my son has an allergey for dates is there anything i can subtitute for it?

• June 17th, 2011 @ 6:19 AM

I’m not quite sure!

13. postedDec 7, 2011 12:36 AM

You can substitute raisins for the dates. It’s a completely different cookie, but still quite good.

14. postedJan 5, 2014 9:57 AM

I don’t see anything “healthy” about theses cookies. They contain sugar and white flour, not to mention almost 17 carbs PER serving ! They may be yummy but they are definitely NOT healthy.

• January 5th, 2014 @ 8:17 PM

Okay, maybe “healthy- ER.”