Blueberry- Raspberry Galette (But It's Really a Tart!)

One more week…. until school begins, that is. I’m ready. More than ready! It’s time for the kiddo to go back to school. It’s been a great summer, and we’ve had loads of invaluable family-together time, but I look forward to having some days to myself again.

We have a brand-spankin’ new school opening up this year in our neighborhood. I’ve found myself on the board of their first PTA (which means I’ll have people to bake for)! The office staff will either love me or hate me. Little do they know that they’ll be my guinea pigs for newly tried recipes. My PTA board was already on the receiving end of my latest one: Blueberry- Raspberry Galette from Sara Leah Chase’s The Nantucket Open House Cookbook.

I’m horrible at crust. You can see from the picture that I managed to get it into the pan, but I really need to take some sort of “Pie Making for Idiots” class. It’s not usually my thing and it tends to cause me enormous amounts of stress.

Now you can also see from this first picture that this “galette” is really a tart. In fact, in Chase’s recipe, the title indicates that it’s a galette but in the instructions it is referred to as a tart. Are there any galette/tart experts out there that can clarify the difference?

I might possibly have baked it slightly too long. I was concerned with undercooking the crust, but in the process of extending the baking time the blueberries may have become too jam-like. Don’t get me wrong- the tart was fabulous- but If I were to try it again I may eyeball it a little closer.

The raspberries are placed after the tart has completely cooled. The combination of the baked blueberries with the fresh raspberries was nice. Blueberries alone would have been boring. I plopped some freshly whipped cream on top of individual slices.

When I walked out the door, tart in hand, this conversation took place.

husband: “Where are you going with that?”
me: “PTA meeting… next door.”
husband: “But what if there isn’t any left?”
me: “But honey, I didn’t make it for you. I made it for the PTA board.”
husband: “Make sure some comes back with you.”
me: (rolled eyes)

I took extra care to cut smaller slices for the ladies on the PTA board so that my husband could experience the tart that he was forced to watch walk out the door. The gals gushed about this summery dessert, and the husband was most appreciative of my efforts to save some for him. He enjoyed it too.

This recipe can be found HERE.

No Responses to “Blueberry- Raspberry Galette (But It's Really a Tart!)”

1. postedAug 11, 2008 11:39 AM
    Dhanggit

bluberry and raspberry in a tart!! what could we ask for more…? a scoop of ice-cream maybe!! this is definitely gorgeous!!

2. postedAug 11, 2008 12:30 PM
    Manggy

Hey, I think turning blueberries into jam during baking is a capital idea! :) The crust looks great to me, don’t worry about it. As far as I know, that looks like a tart. Galette usually refers to a freeform tart or specific kinds (galette rois or something).

3. postedAug 11, 2008 12:41 PM
    Pamela

It looks simply beautiful, and it was nice that you made sure to bring some home!

4. postedAug 11, 2008 1:44 PM
    Prudy

I have that cookbook. I’m a sucker for all things Nantucket. The tart looks delicious. Good luck on the PTA board this year.

5. postedAug 11, 2008 2:07 PM
    Jenny

Wow, what a stunning tart, the colors are beautiful!

6. postedAug 11, 2008 3:55 PM
    Clumbsy Cookie

If you didn’t tell nobody would have guessed that you have crust issues, it looks great to me. I like the idea of mixing cooked and fresh fruit!
    Galletes usually are baked in a sheet with the filling in the middle and the dough fowlded over the filling. The ingredients are the same, just the presentacion changes, since galletes tend to be more rustic. At least that’s what I think…

7. postedAug 11, 2008 4:24 PM
    Lori Lynn

That looks great, Lori. I love the fresh raspberries on the baked blueberries, and how you made a double ring of them. Lucky PTA!

8. postedAug 11, 2008 5:00 PM
    Cheryl

Gorgeous! It’s definitely a tart, not a galette, but who cares? For me, semantics become meaningless when my mouth is stuffed with pastry.

9. postedAug 11, 2008 5:53 PM
    Adam

I think I’m just like you with the tart placement. The best thing about it is that no one sees it right? :)

Your tart looks great. The berries look great, and with whipped cream… awesome.

And I would trust cookie, she knows what she’s talking about.

10. postedAug 11, 2008 7:15 PM
    Patsyk

Looks amazing! I can see why your husand wanted to be sure to get a piece!

11. postedAug 11, 2008 7:28 PM
    Aggie

That was so nice of you to save a piece for your husband! Your tart looks beautiful…I love blueberry/rasberry sweets!

12. postedAug 11, 2008 8:19 PM
    CookiePie

Beautiful tart – and you are too hard on yourself about the crust! It looks great to me! When I think of a galette, I think of a free-form tart, instead of one made in a tart pan — but I don’t know if that’s really correct.

13. postedAug 11, 2008 8:32 PM
    Maria

what a great summer dessert! It is beautiful!

14. postedAug 11, 2008 9:12 PM
    Deborah

That conversation definitely sounds like one I’d have with my husband. But then he’d start complaining that I only make treats for other people, never for him…

This looks delicious!!

15. postedAug 11, 2008 9:19 PM
    Dawn

Ohhh your crust is perfect, I think you're crazy to think otherwise.
    And adding the raspberries looks so pretty & elegant.

16. postedAug 11, 2008 10:46 PM
    Heather

oooh very pretty :) the color contrast between the berries is lovely!

17. postedAug 11, 2008 10:56 PM
    Grace

i think your crust looks fine, but to me, it plays second fiddle to those awesome blueberries anyway. this is a gorgeous dessert, and how kind of you to bring some back to your husband. :)

18. postedAug 12, 2008 1:27 AM
    Kevin

That looks great! I like the fresh raspberries on top.

19. postedAug 12, 2008 1:33 AM
    Flour

That looks so unbelievable fresh. I love how the colors pop, and the crust is superb. I have a really tough time making pastry crusts like these :P.

20. postedAug 12, 2008 2:15 AM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

YUM

21. postedAug 12, 2008 2:46 AM
    eliza

hi Lori! that’s one mouthwatering tart! i’d be asking the same question if i were your hubby :) don’t you love it now you have more people to bake for, lots of recipes to try!

22. postedAug 12, 2008 2:47 AM
    StickyGooeyCreamyChewy

That is one stunning and delicious looking tart. I totally understand your husband’s concern. I want a slice too!

23. postedAug 12, 2008 3:43 AM
    Laura

That story about your husband what hysterical. And the dessert with identity issues šŸ˜‰ is GORGEOUS. Who cares what it is?

24. postedAug 12, 2008 3:44 AM
    Lisa

It looks beautiful and I bet tastes better! Your husband sounds like my husband:)

25. postedAug 12, 2008 4:10 AM
    Jan

That looks lovely! I’m hopeless with pastry – at least you managed to get yours in the pan. :-)

26. postedAug 12, 2008 10:30 AM
    Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm)

My husband will not let me leave, I’ll have to sneak it out the door. I don’t blame them.. we tease them ever too often with baking for other people.

27. postedAug 12, 2008 11:49 AM
    VeggieGirl

Ahh, just one more week until school?? Eek!! I start on September 2nd, so that’s not too far off either…

Lucky PTA board and family, to receive such a gorgeous, luscious tart!! Yum!!

28. postedAug 12, 2008 2:58 PM
    Sharon

Such a beautiful tart (galette?) that probably tastes even better than it looks! I’d love to join your PTA board :)

29. postedAug 12, 2008 3:36 PM
    Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor"

Spectacular photo. And the big difference between a tart and a galette, is the baking vehicle and presentation. A galette is baked on a baking sheet with a crust that is rolled back onto the filling, versus a tart which has a prepared crust made in a tart pan, with no overhang and only the filling in the middle. I love both, but prefer the galette if I’m looking for a rustic, peasant type of casual presentation. I hope this helps.

“Doc”

30. postedAug 12, 2008 4:01 PM
    Pam

Looks beautiful AND tasty. I think the crust looks great too. I love how you used fresh raspberries on top – what a great idea.

31. postedAug 12, 2008 4:31 PM
    Proud Italian Cook

Your husbands so funny, I could hear mine saying the same thing. As for this tart/galette Wow! Just the presentation alone is a showstopper! I’m sure it tasted just the way it looked. Wonderful!!

32. postedAug 12, 2008 6:55 PM
    white on rice couple

My mom kinda felt the same way too when it was close to going back to school. She was already ready to ship all us 6 kids out of the house!
    I just can’t believe that you are horrible at crust, look how beautiful it is! Everything about the dessert is gorgeous!

33. postedAug 12, 2008 6:56 PM
    Katrina

That is beautiful and looks really yummy.

34. postedAug 12, 2008 7:26 PM
    Tanya

Not only does that look beautiful, but I know it must taste wonderful as well!

35. postedAug 12, 2008 8:44 PM
    Mike of Mike's Table

Tart, galette, whatever it is, it looks delicious to me and I would be sad to see it walk past me and out the door, too! That looks great!

36. postedAug 12, 2008 11:01 PM
    noble pig

It’s beautiful…and if you find that idiot crust class let me know, I want to come too!

37. postedAug 12, 2008 11:23 PM
    JennDZ - The Leftover Queen

Looks beautiful! I am really glad that you had such a nice summer with your family! :)

38. postedAug 13, 2008 2:43 AM
    Psychgrad

Wow – one more week. That’s soon!

The tart looks really classy. Your husband is funny.

39. postedAug 13, 2008 7:17 AM
    Lore

What a gorgeous berry tart! I can understand why your husband wanted you to bring a slice back. I’m with Manggy and Cookie on the galette part.

40. postedAug 15, 2008 5:32 PM
    Rosie

Oh double yummy – blueberries and raspberries what a wonderful tart :)

Rosie x

41. postedAug 18, 2008 1:38 PM
    The Caked Crusader

Ooh – this looks lovely. I don’t think I could’ve been as noble as your husband and let it walk out the door!

42. postedAug 21, 2008 1:50 PM
    Gloria (Canela)

Look absolutely beauty and tasty!!!Gloria