This is a simple and pretty recipe for Cherry Almond Tart, using cherry preserves and a delicious shortbread almond crust.
I like to think of this cherry almond tart as a beautiful dessert for Valentine’s Day, Easter or Mother’s Day. It’s one of those kinds of desserts that looks like you bought at a gourmet bakery, but you get the satisfaction of telling everyone you made it yourself! It happens to be delicious too.
- all purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- unsalted butter
- white sugar
- sliced almonds
- whole eggs
- egg yolk
- cherry preserves
How to make a Cherry Almond Tart:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Remove from the oven; brush the edges with egg wash. Sprinkle almonds around the edge. Bake for 15 more minutes.
Cut into squares to serve. Once cut, store squares in a sealed container. Consume within 3 days when stored at room temperature, one week when store in the refrigerator, and three months when stored in the freezer. Enjoy!
The Best Cherry Dessert Recipes:
- Cherry Rugelach
- White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies
- Cherry Delight
- Cherry Amaretto Pie
- Mini Cherry Cheesecake Bites
Cherry Almond Tart
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1¾ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 10 ounces sliced almonds, ground finely (or use almond flour)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- One 12-ounce jar cherry preserves
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 10 x 6 inch tart pan with removable bottom with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the sugar, ground almonds, then eggs. Work into a ball. Knead a few times in the bowl if necessary to bring the dough together. Divide in half.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Roll the remaining dough between two sheets of waxed paper to ¼ inch thick. Put on baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
ASSEMBLE THE TART:
- Puree the preserves in a food processor, then spread on top of the crust.
- Remove the top sheet of waxed paper from the chilled dough. Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, slice the dough into ¾ to 1 inch diagonal strips. Arrange on top of the preserves in a lattice fashion.
- Beat the yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush lightly on the lattice.
- Place the tart in the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven; brush the edges with egg wash. Sprinkle almonds around the edge. Bake for 15 more minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Gently remove the sides and cool completely. Cut into squares to serve.