Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 30 min + chill time
Cook Time: 40 min
Cherry- Almond Tart
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup granulated white sugar
10 ounces sliced almonds, ground finely (or use almond flour)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
One 12-ounce jar cherry preserves
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 10 x 6-inch tart pan with removable bottom with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sugar, ground almonds, then eggs. Work into a ball. Knead a few times in the bowl if necessary to bring dough together. Divide in half.
3. Press half of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Roll remaining dough between waxed paper to 1/4-inch thickness. Put on baking sheet; freeze 10 minutes.
5. Puree preserves in food processor, spread over bottom of tart. Remove top sheet of waxed paper from chilled dough. Using pastry wheel or pizza cutter, slice dough into 3/4 to 1-inch diagonal strips. Arrange on top of preserves in a lattice fashion.
6. Beat yolk with 1 teaspoon water; brush lightly on lattice. Place in oven and reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; brush edges with egg wash. Sprinkle almonds around edge. Bake for 15 more minutes.
7. Cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. Gently remove sides and cool completely.
*Try subbing strawberry jam and pine nuts OR grape jelly and chopped peanuts.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Family Circle )