This Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds is the perfect summer salad. Mixed greens are topped with three kinds of berries, gorgonzola, avocado and sugared almonds. It’s tossed with a simple strawberry balsamic vinaigrette.
Watch the short video showing you how to make this Triple Berry Salad, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
If you’ve never had fresh berries in a green salad before, now’s the time to try it. My sister Susie was visiting us when she shared her secret for losing an entire dress-size these past few months: she eats a salad with berries and sugared nuts for dinner almost every night! Ok, so she’s a fanatic on the elliptical machine too… but in any case, this is a darn good salad and it has a lot of healthy ingredients added in. Susie helped me create this Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds.
You can use any berries you’d like for this salad. My choice is blackberries, blueberries and strawberries. Gorgonzola cheese is a wonderful pairing to sweet berries, but if you prefer to use feta cheese then that’s totally okay too. Avocado is the final addition that makes this salad so delicious. And of course those sugared almonds too!
How do you make Sugared Almonds?
To make sugared almonds, just put a few tablespoons of white sugar in a nonstick pan and heat over medium heat. As the pan heats up, the sugar begins to melt in the pan. At this point, you’ll add the almonds and stir them into the melted sugar. Keep stirring until the almonds begin to turn golden brown and the sugar is totally melted and evenly distributed among the almonds.
Once the almonds are done, the best thing to do is to transfer them to a glass dish to let them cool. Once cooled, you can easily break the sugared almonds into pieces and they will not stick to the glass dish.
Find a beautiful bowl in which to display your beautiful Triple Berry Salad!
This salad is SO GOOD. I’ve made it three times this summer already and have brought it to friend’s houses for barbecues. It’s always a huge hit! We love this summer salad recipe!
Also, if I can eat this every night for dinner and lose a dress size, I’m all over that. My family can just fend for themselves for a while, lol!
If you’re looking for a few more recipes to make with berries, you might wish to try my No Bake Berry Almond Tart or this Berry Pretzel Dessert. Kiwi Berry Salad and Make Ahead Frozen Berry Cobbler are good choices too!
Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1½ cups strawberries
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 1½ cups blackberries
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled & chopped
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup gorgonzola crumbles
PREPARE THE ALMONDS:
- In a small skillet, heat the sugar over medium heat until it begins to melt. Add the almonds to the pan and toss rapidly until the sugar coats all of the almonds and the almonds are lightly browned. Pour them out onto a glass dish and separate almonds with a fork. Cool until hardened and break into pieces.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a small bowl (or a shaker jar), combine all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking as you add the oil until the dressing thickens.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl, place the greens, avocado, green onions, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Toss them with the dressing. Add almonds and gorgonzola crumbles. Toss lightly and serve.
- *Use whatever kinds of berries you'd like, and feel free to switch out the gorgonzola crumbles for goat cheese or feta cheese too.