Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche

I’ve always associated Mother’s Day with brunch.  Usually being the one to host this holiday, I almost always put quiches on the menu.   I have quite a few quiche recipes that I love, but I’m always looking for something new to try. This one comes from that great spa cookbook that I talked about yesterday: Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quiche.

What makes this one different is that it’s loaded with herbs and three varieties of mushrooms. Since we’re big-time mushroom lovers, it was the perfect choice for our family.

Our local produce wholesaler (Specialty Produce) supplies most of the restaurants in town with their fabulous farm-fresh selections. Luckily, the general public can shop there too and choose from things like 20 to 30 varieties of mushrooms! I came home from SP recently armed with Cremini, White Button and the ultra-cool Oyster variety- perfect for this quiche recipe.

I usually shy away from preparing any sort of recipe that involves a crust. I’m majorly crust-challenged, you see. Pretty much every crust I make is usually quite the flop. Thankfully, this crust was an exception! It came together fairly easily, and I listened to my instincts and kept adding liquid until the dough came together. Chopped fresh thyme is a nice addition to the flavor of this crust. The dough ball is chilled for a little bit, giving you a chance to saute mushrooms with onions and garlic.

After the short chill-time, the dough rolled out rather easily between two pieces of plastic wrap.

Decorative edging is next.

The sauteed mushroom mixture is spooned into the bottom of the uncooked crust.

Crumbled goat cheese is added next.

Herb-filled eggs are poured on top.

Here’s the finished product! I think this is about the most perfect quiche I’ve ever baked up. The crust didn’t burn and the filling wasn’t soggy in the least.

After letting the quiche sit for a bit, it sliced up rather cleanly… not the case with many other quiches I’ve tried. The result? Well, it was absolutely delicious. Even my self-declared mushroom-hating 7 year old enjoyed this quiche. He actually had no idea that there were mushrooms in it until I told him. And he was a bit horrified that he had unknowingly consumed and enjoyed them.

We adore goat cheese, but I’m sure you could sub Feta if you’re not fond of goat. If you don’t care for mushrooms, well then I’ll just tell you to go find another quiche. This one is meant for mushrooms :)

Happy Mother’s Day weekend to All (but first and foremost… my MOM!)

This recipe can be found HERE.

39 Responses to “Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche”

Lisa — May 8, 2009 @ 2:09 AM

That looks amazing. Really. I must try that.

rhyleysgranny — May 8, 2009 @ 2:18 AM

That looks gorgeous. I love quiche. One question. I use creme fraiche and cream with two eggs to make a sort of custard for quiche. I am curious to know what it is like just using eggs alone. It looks delicious and i have printed the recipe
    Cheers x

• RecipeGirl replied: — May 8th, 2009 @ 4:52 AM

Hi Rhyleysgranny, I’ve never made a custard with the creme fraiche so I’m afraid I cannot compare! I’m sure it probably makes the quiche a bit more rich than using eggs alone.

Lisa — May 8, 2009 @ 3:48 AM

I love all the herbs. Happy Mother’s Day!

Aimee — May 8, 2009 @ 3:55 AM

Happy Mother’s Day! I would be so lucky to have this tart on Sunday. It’s looks lovely and I’m a sucker for mushrooms.

justeatfood — May 8, 2009 @ 5:26 AM

What a wonderful Mother’s Day Brunch recipe! Although, I hope someone makes something special for you too. :) Happy Mother’s Day!

nina — May 8, 2009 @ 5:42 AM

My quiches look a bit more “rustic” than that….yours is restaurant quality!!!!

Jenny — May 8, 2009 @ 5:44 AM

Gorgeous Lori! Perfect for Mother’s Day, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Judy — May 8, 2009 @ 5:53 AM

Absolutely awesome looking quiche!!! Love the crust with all the herbs in it!!!

kellypea — May 8, 2009 @ 6:56 AM

You are so NOT crust challenged! Look at the perfection of that crust. We’re brunch people for Mother’s Day most of the time as well, and this combo of flavors is fabulous. I love Specialty Produce — it’s so fun bringing home great ingredients to turn into lovely dishes like this. Happy Mother’s Day, Lori!

Marie — May 8, 2009 @ 6:07 AM

Mmmm, I love this Lori! the crust is calling my name! Have a wonderful Mothers Day! I’m trying my hardest for Monday!
    xox, Marie

Dana — May 8, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

That looks absolutely delicious! And came out perfectly too. We are big mushroom lovers around here so that will be on our table soon. The Pacific NW is mushroom country, but we don’t have anything like that selection. Lucky you!

LilSis — May 8, 2009 @ 7:16 AM

I’ll definitely be going to brunch on Mothers Day. That’s a must! So, I’ll let someone else cook for me on Sunday, but I’m bookmarking this recipe.

I love just about any kind of quiche. This recipe looks fantastic. I love the variety of the mushrooms, the herbs, and the goat cheese!

I usually make a crustless quiche, mainly to avoid extra calories, but if I ever do use a crust, it would be a store bought frozen pie shell…I’ve never made a crust. I’d like to give this a try if you PROMISE that it’s easy, breezy!!

Janet — May 8, 2009 @ 7:21 AM

That looks amazing! I had plans of making Martha’s mushroom quiche this weekend, but I think I want this one instead!

Karina — May 8, 2009 @ 7:31 AM

For someone who is pastry crust shy, you’ve done a beautiful job. This quiche is gorgeous. Definitely brunch worthy (and what’s not to love about goat cheese?).

patsyk — May 8, 2009 @ 8:52 AM

For someone crust-challenged, your decorative edge is PERFECT! I have an awful time with the edges of crusts. I love the flavor combo of the diff mushrooms and the goat cheese. I may just make this one for myself …

Katie — May 8, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

That looks absolutely delicious! I am crust challenged as well, so I’ll have to give this one a try. I love quiche.

HoneyB — May 8, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

It looks delicious and your crust is so pretty!!

The Duo Dishes — May 8, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

All things goat cheese are delish!

Laurie V — May 8, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

Oh my gosh Lori.. your crust looks perfect and sooo aromatic! Beautiful quiche.. I love mushrooms and goat cheese, how delicious.
    Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!!

pigpigscorner — May 8, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

It looks so delicious! I love mushrooms. I would love to try this but my hubs doesn’t like quiche =(

RecipeGirl's Mom — May 8, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

Oh how wonderful it is to be reading about your irresistible Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche and find a “Happy Mother’s Day” greeting at the end. Recipe Girl, you are truly a sweet and loving daughter.

Jen — May 8, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Wow! The crust is usually my least favorite part, but I may just run to the “other side” after seeing the inclusion of fresh thyme in your crust. Amazing looking quiche!

Lee — May 8, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

I may have missed it somewhere, or am being silly but, how long in the oven???

I think I want to try make this for my wife, she loves mushrooms and hasn’t had quiche in a while…

• RecipeGirl replied: — May 8th, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

Hi Lee- if you click over to view the recipe, the instructions are there for how long… about 35 to 45 minutes.

Bridget — May 8, 2009 @ 4:07 PM

You are killing me here with these delicious recipes!!! Yet another to mark as a “must make!!!”

Cathy - wheresmydam — May 8, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

WOW that looks so yummy – What a wonderful combination!!

amanda — May 8, 2009 @ 5:38 PM

yum! i LOVE a good quiche and this looks awesome. :-)

Paula — May 9, 2009 @ 6:28 AM

Beautiful! The perfect Mother’s day idea!

Stacey Snacks — May 9, 2009 @ 12:20 PM

RG,
    How can you be “crust challenged”? you are a baker! and a good one at that!
    I love quiches and tarts and have finally perfected my crust.
    Practice makes Perfect!

Kerstin — May 9, 2009 @ 2:15 PM

What a lovely quiche – I really like mushrooms and goat cheese together!

Bunny — May 9, 2009 @ 5:58 PM

This quiche is wonderful, how do you get the fluted crust so perfect!!! That’s amazing!!

Laura — May 10, 2009 @ 6:31 AM

That is hysterical about your kid. And I am glad to know I am not the only one who avoids making crust! The quiche looks terrific–I wish my husband liked quiche more, I love quiche, esp those made with goat cheese, yum!

the wicked noodle — May 10, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

So, I click on this gorgeous photo on photograzing.com, and I find myself at my favorite website! This looks absolutely amazing! I’m crust-challenged myself, but I plan on giving this one a go – thanks!

Bren — May 10, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

you’ve just tantalized me with this! oh em gee!I hope you had a great mother’s day! (and how’d that 5-6 mile run go!?! :)

aoife mc — May 12, 2009 @ 1:00 PM

Wow! This looks great. I tried to make my own pastry for this first time last week and had a total FAIL. It was hilarious! I ended up running to the shop last minute and getting a pre-made quiche for dinner! I’ll be trying it again though soon. Once I’ve mastered the pastry I’ll give this recipe a try for sure :)

Deborah — May 14, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

I have some goat cheese that I need to use, and this looks like the perfect way to use it!

Just a Girl — May 15, 2009 @ 7:43 PM

That is by far, the most chic Tart/Quiche I have ever seen!

Cajun Chef Ryan — October 21, 2009 @ 10:54 AM

Just Stumbled this one and looks amazing! Saving this one for future reference.

Regards,