This recipe for Asparagus Quiche turns out perfect and pretty every time. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch or a special occasion.
I first made this quiche when I was hosting Mother’s Day one year. I made a variety of quiches to put on a buffet display (along with my lobster quiche and blue cheese and walnut quiche), and this one was definitely a favorite.
Quiche is one of those things that is fabulous to order in a restaurant, but we rarely think to make it at home. This asparagus quiche is easy enough to make with a pre-made pie crust.
- fresh asparagus
- refrigerated pie crust
- cooked bacon
- shredded Swiss cheese
- whipping cream
- ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
How to make bacon in the oven:
You can certainly fry up your bacon in a skillet, but I find that it’s much easier (and cleaner) to cook it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the foil. Bake until the bacon is browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Time in the oven will depend on how thick your bacon is. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
How to make Asparagus Quiche:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
I like to make this asparagus quiche for dinner sometimes in the summer. It’s fabulous served with a side salad and a glass of chilled white wine. Enjoy!
- Thinner asparagus work best, and if you have to you may also use 20oz. frozen asparagus spears.
- If you’re preparing this recipe as gluten free, use a gluten free pie crust (available at Whole Foods and other specialty markets) and just make sure that the brand of bacon you are using is designated as gluten free too.
The Best Quiche Recipes:
- Swiss Onion Quiche
- Garden Vegetable Quiche
- Western Omelet Quiche
- Bagel Quiche
- Brie and Canadian Bacon Quiche
- 1½ pounds asparagus
- 1 whole refrigerated pie crust, unbaked
- 8 slices bacon, quartered and cooked until crisp
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the asparagus; cut off the white, rough ends. Scrape down toward the ends with a vegetable parer to get rid of the tougher, exterior of the asparagus. Save 12 of the best spears for decoration. Cut the rest of the asparagus into ½-inch pieces. Cook in 1 quart of boiling salted water until tender (or steam them) just for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Place the pie crust in an 11-inch pie plate and flute the edges. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pie shell with bacon, then cheese, then cut-up asparagus.
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to briskly mix the cream, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper until well combined. Pour the cream mixture into the pie shell, and arrange the asparagus spears on top in a spoke fashion.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until puffy and golden. Serve warm.
- Thinner asparagus work best, and if you have to you may also use 20-ounces frozen asparagus spears.
- If you're preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, use a GF pie crust (available at Whole Foods) and just make sure that the brand of bacon you are using is designated as GF.