posted in Appetizers

How to Pop Popcorn on the Stove

Have you ever done it? Have you ever popped your own popcorn on the stove? That’s the way we used to do it when I was little (shortly after electricity was invented and before microwaves began invading people’s kitchens). It’s the best way to pop perfect popcorn, all kernels popped and none of those ingredients that you can’t pronounce on the side of the microwave popcorn bag.

Here’s how you pop popcorn on the stove:

You need three things: Canola or vegetable oil, sea salt and popcorn (I think the Orville Redenbacher brand works best). You might wish to have butter or some other kind of seasoning to toss with your popcorn. I’m going to give you all kinds of recommendations for how to jazz up your popcorn at the end of this post.

Choose a pot that has a pretty large surface area.  Mine was 5-inches deep and 9-inches across.  You don’t want the popcorn kernels to be crowded too much or piled on top of each other.  Before you get started, make sure you have a lid that fits on the top of that pot :)

You’ll need enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  I used 3 to 4 tablespoons for 1 cup of popcorn.  Add the oil to a COLD pan.

Add your popcorn kernels to the COLD oil.

Make sure the kernels are all coated with oil and are sitting in a shallow puddle of it.

They should be all spread out in the pan like this- not piled on top of each other.

Add a little bit of sea salt to the coated kernels.  I like to add salt in the cooking process, and sometimes I add more after it’s all popped too.  You can skip this part if you prefer to add it after.

Turn the heat to medium and heat up the kernels and the oil at the same time.  Shake the pan back and forth to evenly distribute the heat to all sides of the kernels.  Keep shaking it back and forth.  It’ll be a little noisy.  Your spouse may tell you, “Shhhhhhh!” because he can’t hear the TV.  Not that my spouse did that or anything.  I’m just sayin’.

Eventually (a minute or three or four later), the first kernel will pop.

Get the lid on your pot quickly because that popped kernel has a whole lot of friends who are going to begin popping almost immediately.  Keep sliding the pot back and forth over the heat until all kernels are popped.  Tell your spouse to go hang out in the backyard if he’s still griping about the noise.

In just a few minutes, the popping sounds will slow down and come to a halt.  Remove your pot from the heat, and you’re ready to jazz up your popcorn for consumption!

You can certainly top your stove-popped popcorn with a generous amount of melted, salted butter.  Sometimes I love it that way best.  But I’m going to give you a whole lot of suggestions for making regular old popcorn way more delicious.  I’ve gotta thank my Facebook followers for those suggestions, since they left me like a gazillion ideas for serving up popcorn in super cool and delicious ways.  Here are the suggestions that sounded best to me:

A few sweet (dessert) suggested add-ins:
1.  chocolate syrup + peanut butter
2. caramel
3. mix in junior mints, hot tamales, chocolate chips, reeses pieces, m&m’s or sugar babies
4. maple syrup
5. melt marshmallows with brown sugar and butter and mix in

And the savory suggested add-ins:
1. sea salt + freshly ground pepper
2. maple and bacon
3. Parmesan + freshly chopped rosemary
4. butter + cajun spice + brown sugar
5. fajita seasoning
6. cayenne pepper or tabasco
7. Parmesan and pepper
8. butter-flavored olive oil
9. ranch seasoning
10. white truffle oil + Parmesan
11. brewers/nutritional yeast
12. chili oil + garlic powder + curry powder
13. cheese packet from a macaroni & cheese box
14. Old Bay Seasoning
15. Dill pickle seasoning (not sure I’ve ever seen that)
16. Meat tenderizer (what??  Really?)

See how easy it is?  And how many fun things you can add in? Kids go nuts over stove popcorn too since the whole “popping” process is noisy and scientifically amazing. And man, it tastes waaaaaaaay better. Please tell me that you’ll end the microwave popcorn madness.  It’s just as easy to do on the stove, it pops up perfectly and with just three ingredients- you know what’s in your popcorn.  It also makes for good snuggle, TV/Movie-watching time on the couch.  Now go pop away!

Yield: Roughly 24 cups (6 servings)

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 10 min

Stove- Popped Popcorn

This method turns out popcorn that is popped... all of it! And it's so much better than microwave.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup popcorn kernels (I prefer Orville Redenbacher)
sea salt (optional)
melted butter or additional toppings or mix-ins, as desired

Directions:

1. Take out a pot with a large surface area (one that has a matching lid). A 5-inch deep, 9-inches across pot is perfect for 1 cup of popcorn.
2. Pour in the oil and then add the popcorn kernels. Sprinkle in a bit of sea salt, if desired. Shake the pan around to evenly distribute the kernels and coat them with oil. The pan should be big enough so that the kernels are not over-crowded and/or piled on top of each other.
3. Turn heat to medium and begin to slide the pot back and forth over the burner. Keep sliding/shaking the pan back and forth to evenly distribute the heat to all sides of the kernels. Eventually (3-5 minutes later), the first kernel will pop. At this point, put the lid on the pan. Keep sliding/shaking the pan back and forth and the other kernels will begin to pop. Keep that pan moving back and forth until the popping slows down and the kernels are all popped. Remove the pan from heat.
4. Toss popcorn with melted butter and/or other seasonings, and serve immediately.

Tips:

A few sweet (dessert) suggested add-ins from RecipeGirl readers:
1.  chocolate syrup + peanut butter
2. caramel
3. mix in junior mints, hot tamales, chocolate chips, reeses pieces, m&m's or sugar babies
4. maple syrup
5. melt marshmallows with brown sugar and butter and mix in

And the savory suggested add-ins from RecipeGirl readers:
1. sea salt + freshly ground pepper
2. maple and bacon
3. Parmesan + freshly chopped rosemary
4. butter + cajun spice + brown sugar
5. fajita seasoning
6. cayenne pepper or tabasco
7. Parmesan and pepper
8. butter-flavored olive oil
9. ranch seasoning
10. white truffle oil + Parmesan
11. brewers/nutritional yeast
12. chili oil + garlic powder + curry powder
13. cheese packet from a macaroni & cheese box
14. Old Bay Seasoning
15. Dill pickle seasoning (not sure I've ever seen that)
16. Meat tenderizer (what??  Really?)

Source: RecipeGirl.com

131 Responses to “How to Pop Popcorn on the Stove”

1. postedOct 13, 2011 3:38 AM

Awesome tutorial. No need for another gadget taking up room in the kitchen with this tip.

2. postedOct 13, 2011 3:58 AM

I love popcorn! I eat it almost every day. Except I don’t do it fancy like you do. I just pop it in a brown paper sack in the microwave and nuke for a minute or so. I love!! all your topping suggestions…where to begin b/c they all sound delish…hmm…. :)

3. postedOct 13, 2011 4:06 AM

I love popping popcorn myself on the stove. My Grandpa and I used to do it all the time. So much tastier than bagged popcorn.

4. postedOct 13, 2011 5:28 AM

Great and simple tutorial!

5. postedOct 13, 2011 6:22 AM
    SharonMarie

I’m not a big fan of microwave popcorn either! Real popcorn (I call it “real popcorn” is way better! And my family loves when I add the cinnamon red hot candies! Have you ever tried that? Just add them in with the popcorn kernels and as your kernels pop, the candies pop too and coat the popcorn with the red hot cinnamon flavor. Awesome!

6. postedOct 13, 2011 6:48 AM

Lori, we do this at least once a week. I truly believe it taste better from a pot. Then we sprinkle it with sugar and cayenne! Mmmm…

7. postedOct 13, 2011 7:05 AM
    Jan

Love popcorn – there are some great suggestions here!
    I’m quite boring and only like salt and a knob of butter stirred through.

8. postedOct 13, 2011 7:06 AM
    Alysa

We did this last night with nutritional yeast on top. Yum!

9. postedOct 13, 2011 7:13 AM
    Camie

We use Onera or Tony’s cajun seasoning on ours. Yumm!

10. postedOct 13, 2011 7:32 AM

I could live on popcorn. I always air-pop mine but love the taste when it is popped on the stove. Love the add-in ideas!

11. postedOct 13, 2011 7:37 AM

Yes, yes YES! It’s the only way we make popcorn. Hubs like to toss it with ground cumin and sugar. And it actually WORKS!

12. postedOct 13, 2011 8:17 AM

I had to laugh when I saw your title…. because for SO long, I always made the microwave type. But {like you} I hated seeing all those ingredients no one can pronounce. Now my family LOVES homemade popcorn and it’s SO super easy! Great post!!!

13. postedOct 13, 2011 9:16 AM

This is the only way my husband will eat popcorn. I of course grew up eating the kind from a bag and my grandma would always shake the cheese packet from mac n cheese over it. I don’t think I’ve eaten bagged/microwaved popcorn since I’ve been married though. I wont complain because my husband always volunteers to make it.

14. postedOct 13, 2011 9:48 AM

Love making popcorn on the stove! It does get noisy though. I am always afraid I will wake the baby up! Great mix in ideas.

15. postedOct 13, 2011 9:49 AM
    Andrea

This is how my mom always made it. It’s so easy and CHEAP! Looks like I’ll be making a big pot tonight (with LOTS of parm sprinkled on top!). Thanks for the idea!

16. postedOct 13, 2011 11:23 AM

I had to laugh when I saw this post. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve had to explain this to over the years. Makes me feel ancient! LOL

There’s definitely no comparison – stove top popcorn is the best!! The only difference between how we do it is that I only put in one kernel to start. When that one pops, I know the oil is hot enough and pour in the rest. I’ll have to try it your way and see if it makes any kind of difference in the end result.

17. postedOct 13, 2011 11:48 AM
    Joanie from CLBB

Thanks to lots of props by folks on the CLBB, I purchased and have become a big Whirly Popper fan, using RealTheater popcorn (when I can track it down) and just recently, coconut oil (and lots of sea salt). Thanks for the tip about salting the kernels in the oil, DUH, never thought of that! Popcorn is certainly health food, with all that good fiber!

18. postedOct 13, 2011 12:12 PM
    Kath

I too make popcorn with a stovetop Whirly Popper and coconut oil. However, I only use about a teaspoon of oil and it works just fine. I like plenty of butter and kosher salt. YUM!

19. postedOct 13, 2011 4:34 PM

I grew up with stovetop popcorn and love making it any night of the week. I used to eat it just for dinner 😉 Have you tried kettle corn? I made that for a picnic this summer and it was a hit, although the pot was hard to clean. I like how you add salt to the oil, I’ll have to give that a try. Your nail polish is cute!

20. postedOct 13, 2011 4:39 PM

It does seem to be a lost art but hopefully it will make a comeback. I have great memories of it as a kid and it is much healthier, and CHEAPER, than microwave popcorn.
    I also remember jiffy-pop with the aluminum foil for the pan and the top and watching it grow. We are amazed by such simple things as kids aren’t we? :-)lol

21. postedOct 13, 2011 6:25 PM
    Complicated

I have been doing this for years. Its cheaper for one than a box of microwave pop corn. One of my favorite add ins is pickled jalapeno slices. Add them just before the kernels start to pop. They almost get candied in the cooking oil. Just lovely.

One of my favorite toppings was peanut butter and jelly (not with the jalapenos in it though). Warm up the peanut butter while you glob some jelly into the bowl of popcorn. Pour the now somewhat runny peanut butter over it an give it a mix. Have plenty of napkins on hand though.

22. postedOct 13, 2011 8:48 PM
    shannon

I always make popcorn on the stove. But, I’d like to add a word of caution. When popping the first kernel or two I always leave the lid on. Once I was checking on the pot of oily kernels when the first one popped spraying hot oil all over my face. It left brown burn marks on my face for a few days before they peeled off and healed up like a sunburn would. I know we can get crispier popcorn if we let the moisture escape, but I don’t pop with the lid off anymore. Has anyone tried splatter screen? I heard that works.

Also, I sometimes use corn oil instead of vegetable oil. It make for a more corny popcorn.

• October 13th, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

Good advice!! I have a splatter screen- going to try it next time!

23. postedOct 13, 2011 9:55 PM
    Susie

I haven’t had “real” popcorn in way too long, and now you have me craving it. Might be my dinner tomorrow night!

24. postedOct 14, 2011 7:16 AM

I don’t know why I ever thought popping your own popcorn on the stove was hard! It’s so simple! Great tutorial, Lori!

25. postedOct 14, 2011 7:36 AM
    Ande B.

Lori,

I love all your posts but the simplicity of “how to pop popcorn on the stove” so far, is my favorite. I can only imagine how many people out there only know the taste of microwave popcorn. Boy are they in for a treat! Thank you for posting all the mouth watering toppings too. Have a beautiful day and weekend!

26. postedOct 14, 2011 12:06 PM
    Kierston

I have to agree- so much better on the stove. I like to soak my oil in garlic all day and then use the oil for the popping process and just add some salt, pepper and maybe a little parmesan…SO GOOD!!! I literally skip dinner for this stuff :)

27. postedOct 14, 2011 5:47 PM
    Carol

My kids call this – making popcorn from scratch! haha

28. postedOct 15, 2011 11:07 AM
    debcurlydog

I love popcorn done on the stove top, just take patience! When I was little, we had a special deep fry pan with a lid that was our “popcorn pan” that was used only for popcorn (we had it a lot growing up). I would always put in 3-4 kernels and when they popped, would put in the rest…not sure why…that’s just how my Mom always did it. :) Nothing beats the taste of fresh popped corn with just salt and a little butter!

29. postedOct 15, 2011 5:04 PM
    Kristi

I’ve started using coconut oil instead of vegetable and it’s really good. I’ve heard that’s what makes movie theatre popcorn so good.

30. postedOct 16, 2011 10:21 AM

I LOVE popcorn this way! Honestly, it doesn’t take much more time to make it this way than in the microwave. You get wayyy more for far less money, and the fab flavor ideas are endless! Can’t wait to try all these neat flavor ideas!

31. postedOct 16, 2011 10:16 PM
    Dana B

yep, used to make it this way all the time. When I want kettle corn I do this, but add 1/4 c sugar when that first kernel pops, but for regular popcorn I now use a Whirly Pop. less oil, tastes great. I don’t even own a microwave :)

32. postedOct 17, 2011 7:01 PM
    Aesha

This is perfect and so simple! When I got rid of my microwave, I really did miss popping my own popcorn but I forgot about this childhood favorite. And I love the add-ins. Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for the yummy reminder!

33. postedOct 19, 2011 5:40 AM

I’ve only ever made my popcorn on the stove, but we use something called a “whirly gig” – its basically a pot with a lid, and you turn a crank that is attached to a multi-armed stirrer. It’s still a lot of noise, and a lot of arm work, but it works really well!

34. postedOct 20, 2011 4:11 AM

I’m surprised to read that this isn’t common to do anymore! We always do it like this (with a few exceptions), because we tend to think that the popcorn tastes much better this way!

Your taste suggestions are much appreciated, by the way!

Regards, Tove (Norway)

35. postedOct 20, 2011 7:36 AM
    Winnie Dolderer

I was sick and tired of the bags and the yucky stuff on them that I got a whirlypop for the stove top…Just a stainless pot with a crank for the kernels. I love it..I do exactly what you do with the pot. …Boy is it better than the microwave stuff. I haven’t even put butter on it and it is delicious….(saves my hips..) I will try your tip about adding salt in the beginning….Can’t wait.Thanks.

36. postedOct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

i grew up with my mom popping popcorn on the stove almost every night! however, she always uses newspaper on top of the pot instead of a lid to help get rid of some of the grease and make it a little healthier:) if you have a gas stove, you have to really watch it…a few times the edge of the paper caught on fire and our fire alarm went off:)
    also…another great topping is taco seasoning!

• October 20th, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

Sounds great, but yikes! I have a gas stove. I guess I’d have to be pretty careful!

37. postedOct 22, 2011 11:20 PM
    RecipeGirl's Mom

Boy, does this bring back a lot of memoriies! This was and still is the best way to pop popcorn and I’ve tried many over the years. I don’t eat much popcorn anymore but seeing your beautiful post makes me want some right now.

38. postedOct 31, 2011 8:41 PM
    Kim

Thanks for inspiring me to make homemade popcorn once again. I used to do this all the time and fell into the “convenience” trap when we had our first daughter. Made it on the stove-top last night. Yum; now I remember why I used to say I didn’t like microwave popcorn…

39. postedNov 15, 2011 9:41 PM
    Cyndi

Thank you-so much easier than I thought and very very tasty!

40. postedDec 11, 2011 9:37 AM
    beth

im glad someone has made this method of popping corn easily available. i was happy when you cited avoiding chemicals and additives as one of the reasons to pop your own corn. that is why i think it is bizarre that most of your add-in suggestions would contribute all of the disgusting chemicals back into the popcorn, making it a moot point to pop your own. red-hots are nothing but HFCS, harmful red dye, and artificial flavor. most taco & fajita seasoning is loaded with MSG, as is name brand ranch mix. butter flavored oil? really? that is the EXACT artificial flavoring they put in the bagged popcorn. dont even get me started on the mac and cheese powder. gross. popcorn can be a healthy whole food.people should be encouraged to avoid ALL packaged, processed, expensive food – and the big corporations that sell them.

• December 11th, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

I agree- many of those suggestions are bizarre, strange-sounding and perhaps unhealthy. These were suggestions from my Facebook followers- just thought it would be fun to include them!

41. postedDec 25, 2011 11:58 AM
    Robin

I decided to make a Christmas snack of popcorn, and used this approach. I used salt along with freshly ground pepper, and olive oil instead of canola, and it was quite tasty. No need for extra butter, but I did use a white cheddar popcorn seasoning after it was done.

I think I’ll try using some ghee in the future. For those unfamiliar with it, ghee is just clarified butter (aka butter oil), and you can pick it up at many supermarkets where they carry Indian food. Using that instead of regular oil for the cooking might make it even more flavorful.

42. postedJan 19, 2012 8:12 PM
    Grant

Great help! Thank you very much! However, I could have done without the “spouse” statements…not all men are couch potatoes…

• January 20th, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Ah, sorry. My husband isn’t a couch potato either… just sharing a story about how he was grouchy the day I was cooking… and gave me the evil eye bc he was trying to watch TV.

43. postedJan 22, 2012 4:39 PM
    Mary

Stove popped is the only way to go! My dad used to make cheese popcorn when we were kids on Sunday nights. He melted velveta and margarine together and then poured it over the popcorn. We looked forward to it every sunday

44. postedJan 24, 2012 1:56 PM

Great detail – thanks! I’ve been wanting to try this for a while. And I wasn’t sure at what point to add the flavorings. So you are saying AFTER the corn is popped. Looks yummy!!

45. postedFeb 4, 2012 6:50 AM
    Mariana

You know, you really have to try this much simpler method before knocking it: 1/3 cup popcorn in a brown lunch bag. Fold. Microwave 2 minutes. That’s it! No oil! It’s awesome, I swear. Add butter and salt or whatever.

46. postedFeb 24, 2012 6:41 PM
    Miranda

Thank you for posting this! I’m about to try my first batch with a very excited 2 year old who can’t wait! Your hubby comments cracked me up—- it’s a good thing mine is out on a much needed man-date with his buddies, or I’d probably be getting the stink eye too. :) (PS… love the nail polish.)

47. postedApr 3, 2012 6:40 PM
    Michelle

Notice how dark the popped corn is. It’s best to heat the oil before the unpopped corn is added (put in three kernels and add the rest when they pop) if you like it fluffy. Salt should be added after the corn is cooked or it becomes tough.

48. postedMay 19, 2012 8:19 PM
    Marie

Wow!!!! this recipe is fool proof! I just made my first batch of white crisp popcorn ever – nothing burned!!! I’m almost 40 and the past 10 years I’ve stayed away from making my own popcorn b/c I always burned the pans.
    Thank you!!!

49. postedJul 22, 2012 5:29 PM
    Peisha

This recipe is amazing! With sea salt and pepper, awesome-sauce! Just made it with one of my mom’s friend’s daughter, my mom and myself. Amazing to make it for the first time and watch the Popcorn to pop to life! Very easy to make! :) Thank you for posting this!

50. postedJul 24, 2012 9:18 AM
    Tony

All the Guys in the firehouse love this. We make popcorn every shift now!

51. postedJul 31, 2012 9:22 AM
    Brianna

Thats how I always make it. But I love jalepeno popcorn! Sounds weird, but is delish. Add a few jalepenos from a jar and a little juice before popping and a little garlic powder after.

52. postedAug 5, 2012 6:46 PM
    Jane H

Made the switch tonight. MV to stove top. GREAT!! Thanks for the easy
    directions.

53. postedAug 30, 2012 2:24 PM

Loved it. almost bought a popcorn maker for $19.00. Now i can spend the money on the popcorn!!

54. postedSep 1, 2012 6:46 PM
    Laura

Yes! I’m so happy you published this…I had forgotten how to make popcorn on the stove. Plus, I love your little comments about the spouse griping about the noise-hilarious.

55. postedOct 7, 2012 10:09 AM

Thank you for this! : )

56. postedOct 14, 2012 7:48 AM
    Neemee

Great tutorial. I just made popcorn for the first time using your tips. Turned out just right. My family enjoyed it. Thanks a lot

57. postedNov 8, 2012 9:03 PM

Great way of doing it! No more burnt bits in the bottom of the pan 😉

58. postedNov 15, 2012 7:06 PM
    MLO

I got a Whirley. I like to experiment on different things to put in the popper with the popcorn for a different taste experience. Some good choices here to try and I would try every one of them. Those who like it plain, fine but don’t knock those who like it a different way than you. I’m personally not a plain kind of guy. I like to introduce my taste buds to different things. You can do a lot of good things with popcorn.

59. postedNov 17, 2012 10:40 AM
    Maureen

I love using this method the only difference is instead of using vegetable or canola oil I like to use coconut oil and sprinkle with sea salt. It smells & tastes amazing. My 4-yr old requests it for her snacks for her pre-k class.

60. postedNov 21, 2012 1:06 AM
    venkat

when I cook the plop corn in the pressure cooker on stove quite a bit of kernel remain. is it noremal and any mistake I am do;ing

• November 21st, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

I have never used a pressure cooker, so I’m not sure. When I cook it in a large pot, there are very few which remain.

61. postedDec 29, 2012 6:23 PM
    John

Thanks so much for sharing this. You are awesome!!! This is very detailed, fun to read and it has picture for every step. My family and I enjoyed pop corn tonight and watched a movie together :) So again, thank you!!! =D

62. postedJan 12, 2013 4:29 PM
    Melissa

Thank you!

63. postedJan 17, 2013 3:02 PM
    Bebehillz6

I just tried this after wanting to test it out for awhile! This was delicious! After the kernels were all popped I tossed them in chili powder, paprika, and salt and pepper! I can’t wait to make it for parties. Thanks for this!

64. postedJan 18, 2013 10:29 AM
    Darren

Try adding a few drops of tabasco with the oil, might take a few attempts at getting the heat strength to individual taste but tastes lovely!

65. postedJan 20, 2013 12:07 PM
    BethB

Thanks for the brilliant recipe and wonderful tips !
    Mine, from memory lane…
    Try freezing the popcorn to retain moisture.

66. postedJan 20, 2013 4:38 PM
    Lisa

Thank you for this recipe – it was so easy (the detailed instructions helped). I have a big bowl of popcorn now and I’m off to watch a movie.

67. postedFeb 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Thank you so much for this! I made some popcorn seasoning and wanted to try out popping popcorn on the stovetop. This worked like a charm!

68. postedFeb 9, 2013 2:08 PM
    Joan Pidgeon

The recipe and instructions are great. But the comments about the complaining spouse are so funny! I read them to my husband – as a warning to not moan about the noise I’m about to make!

69. postedMar 21, 2013 5:18 PM
    Shelly

I usually use 2 Tbs coconut oil for 1/2 cup of popcorn. Sometime I sub a little chili oil to give it some flavor! Then I add kosher salt at the end. Though something sweet would be good too… These are great ideas. Thanks!

70. postedMar 28, 2013 3:14 PM
    Lee

The BEST topping I have found is Lemon Pepper. Put it in the oil while it is heating. The roasting of the lemon peel is incredible.

I think it’s a little easier to pop in a wok shaped pan because the unpopped kernels fall to the heat and the popped kernels are pushed away.

71. postedApr 5, 2013 8:27 AM
    Ysabl

Seriously?? A single cup of kernels fill a whole pot??

72. postedApr 26, 2013 5:47 PM
    Renee

Instead of vegetable oil, use Luanna brand of coconut oil! This brand doesn’t taste like coconut. You will be amazed at how crisp your popcorn is! Even fabulous the next day!

73. postedMay 5, 2013 6:10 PM

I don’t know when I started to buy microwave popcorn but I made a decision not to use a microwave anymore. We had a special popcorn shaker pan when I was a child and we made lots of popcorn in that pan.

I bought some organic popcorn and tried your method. The popcorn came out perfectly and all the corn popped. I mixed half with melted butter with a little maple syrup and sprinkled on sea salt. The other half I left plain to munch on the next day.

I liked it plain just as well as with butter.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your method. I will make real popcorn from now on.

74. postedMay 17, 2013 8:56 PM
    Sasha

Great instructions! I followed your recipe verbatim, and it come out amazingly well. I will do this from now on. Thanks

75. postedJul 12, 2013 5:37 PM
    Bob

Huffing microwave popcorn fumes will can give you a sweet lung disease. Stick to tradition methods like this one.

76. postedJul 27, 2013 9:37 PM
    Tony C

Taste the popcorn before adding more salt. Thanks for the recipe..I was not adding to cold oil and it does not pop, leaves kernals in the popcorn

Cheers..
    Tony

77. postedAug 2, 2013 8:18 PM
    Beth

I much prefer to use coconut oil – the neutral tasting expeller pressed kind – for making popcorn. Canola oil, like other highly processed vegetable oils (think soybean, corn and safflower oils), is chock full of free radicals and prone to rancidity. I suggest using coconut oil and organic popcorn, drizzled with melted real butter and sprinkled with sea salt – YUM!

78. postedSep 24, 2013 11:59 AM
    Niki

Thank you for the tutorial. I’m old enough to remember popcorn before the microwave, but mom had an air popper. Don’t know where to find one of those these days, and I had NO clue how to pop it on the stove.

79. postedSep 24, 2013 10:56 PM
    Ochonia

Wonderful explanation i have learnt a lot and popping my corn is made easy by this awesome tutorial thanks a lot!

80. postedOct 5, 2013 3:20 PM
    Patrick

Nice tutorial – made a batch just fine! Peanut oil may be better than canola, as it can also take the high heat, thought people with allergies shouldn’t use it, obviously. For toppings we added in some parmesan/romano cheese as well as a bunch of roasted spiced chickpeas. These add both a kick and extra protein + fiber making the snack even healthier.

81. postedOct 16, 2013 5:58 PM
    Ellen

I love the husband humor:) Nice writing.

82. postedOct 26, 2013 1:22 PM
    Val Frenett

Thank you. This has made us very happy tonight and in the future.

83. postedNov 7, 2013 8:53 PM
    Lisa

Great tutorial Lori, thanks! A while back someone gave us 2 cases (yes 2 CASES) of macaroni and cheese, and since my kids are grown and gone, it’s just the 2 of us now, and sometimes I cook up the noodles for our chickens. I always save the cheese packets, even though I didn’t know what I was saving them for…but I do now!! =:^D

84. postedNov 25, 2013 2:39 PM
    Laura

My husband used this all of last year ALL of the time and absolutely loved it!!! It turned out perfect every time! But we just moved into a new house and have tried it twice with saddening results :( It barely pops into a full piece of popcorn, most don’t, and the kernels just turn really dark brown. Is our “medium” too hot or did we just buy crappy kernels do you think?

• November 25th, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

Not sure!

85. postedDec 2, 2013 10:14 AM
    Mindy

I used coconut oil to make mine, today, and it worked well. I did heat it just to melting point, before adding the corn. It was fabulous!

86. postedDec 5, 2013 1:24 AM
    Mary

Ok. Apparently I’m the only stupid one here! LOL! I just tried this for the first time and a few kernels popped and the rest just sat there and looked and smelled like they were burning. I finally gave up after more than 10 min. I didn’t measure the ingredients. But I covered the bottom of the pan with oil and kernels, put the stove on medium and shook it every once in a while. I have a flat top stove. Does that matter?

• December 5th, 2013 @ 7:14 AM

I’m really not sure as I’ve never used a flat-top stove, but I wouldn’t think it would make any difference. Could have been the kernels. Either they were old or just not very good ones?

87. postedDec 6, 2013 2:15 AM
    Mary

Thanks, Lori! I got it to work tonight! I tried it again using a less heavy weight pan and tried med-high heat. I heated the oil first with only a few kernels until they popped and then put the rest in, swishing for 30 sec b/f putting back on burner. And I didn’t put salt in at the beginning this time, but I did measure my ingredients. So, not sure what the magic trick was, but I think probably the thinner pan and higher heat might have done it. Going to try again with the same pan and do it like I did it the first time and see if it works now.

I know with the flat top stoves you can’t do any pressure canning b/c these stoves don’t get hot enough. :( So I thought that might be my problem, but it wasn’t. :)

88. postedDec 7, 2013 7:38 AM
    Melissa

Try using coconut oil instead ov vegtable oil, tastes amazing!!!

89. postedDec 9, 2013 10:34 AM
    Jenn

Parsley makes a great addition as well! Soooo good.

90. postedDec 9, 2013 12:00 PM
    sarah

I love your sense of humour – it really made your post fun to read!

91. postedDec 23, 2013 10:45 AM

THANK YOU! You have just helped me avert a popcorn EMERGENCY!! I was making white chocolate candy cane popcorn (or in other words, Christmas crack) and I put WAY too many kernels in my popcorn popper. BROKE IT! GAH! So thank you for this quick and easy tutorial–it saved the day!

92. postedDec 26, 2013 8:05 PM

I just tried this method, and I had perhaps 8 un-popped, slightly burned kernels at the bottom, but all in all a perfect pot of popcorn! Yay! Thanks for this awesome post!

93. postedJan 6, 2014 4:33 PM
    Heather Blair

We lost our popcorn popper in a move to our new home. My hubby has been whining for fresh popcorn. I googled stovetop recipes and came across yours. Worked like a champ! Thanks!

94. postedJan 24, 2014 6:46 PM
    Rax

Thank you!

Yummy!

95. postedFeb 16, 2014 8:17 PM
    Rj

Try coconut oil it’s better for U and it’s delish {;oP***

96. postedFeb 23, 2014 12:17 AM
    Cristina

I’m never buying “fake” popcorn ever again! Just made followed your recipe this evening all the way from Malaysia and it came out perfectly. Now the endless possibilities with the flavors. Thanks for this. Now my three year old can have healthier popcorn.

97. postedMar 2, 2014 9:41 PM
    christine

is it safe to pop popcorn with olive oil? my understanding is that olive oil should not be used in high heat because it becomes carcinogenic.

• March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:13 AM

I’m not sure…

98. postedMar 4, 2014 10:29 AM
    Kelley

Thank you so much for your clear instructions and topping ideas. I never made popcorn on the stove top before so I looked up how to it. It came out perfect and didn’t burn one kernel. I made one cup just for myself so now I’ll be enjoying my popcorn for a while :)

99. postedMar 4, 2014 10:32 AM
    Kelley

Christine, I used olive oil for mine. It came out just fine. But my fiancé told me next time to use canola oil.

100. postedMar 27, 2014 8:11 PM
    steve rivas

hi .help ive bought a home theater style popper,i have tried qvc popper they both have rotating blades that turn the popcorn around .they both pop great but the popcorn not hot like movies style and it taste like its staile not crisp at all ,I tried 3 brands ,jiffypop,popsecret,orville none are even close to microwave hot and crisp.or theater style. I bought a third style popper stove top that spins the kernels also pop good but not crisp at all ,I cannot figure this out I am a good cook but cant do popcorn .so help steve

• March 31st, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

I don’t know anything about poppers, but have you tried it on the stove yet?