posted in Casseroles

Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

When I asked Facebook fans the other day about the possibility of me posting a new casserole recipe, I received an overwhelming response. It seems that there are a lot of casserole-lovers out there! I live in San Diego- not really the Casserole Capital of America. People here eat grilled chicken, tofu hot dogs and salad with no dressing. Casseroles are among the evils that aren’t spoken here in SoCal. Whatever. I eat casseroles. Must be because all of my distant Swedish relatives live in Minnesota, where comfort food is more welcome. It’s in my genes. And probably my jeans too. The good news is that I lightened this one up as much as I thought I could: Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

This is quite the cheesy casserole, and I mean that in a good way. It’s hard to lighten up on cheese since low fat cheeses do not tend to melt nicely, so I charged straight ahead and used full-fat cheese for this recipe. Don’t worry- you’ll see the calorie count in the end (which is actually not too terribly bad).

Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe. Yep, we’re doing something I rarely do on my recipe site: using Cream of Mushroom Soup. If that scares you, head over to Deliciously Organic and snatch Carrie’s homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe, which looks pretty darn good.

Boil the pasta, just so it’s kinda al dente (still has a slight bite to it).

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan.  Just a tablespoon.  We don’t need a whole stick or anything like that since we’re just going to sauté the veggies in it.

Cook the veggies in that melted butter, just until they’re a little bit softened up.  Here’s where you can get creative.  If you don’t like my choice of veggies (or more importantly, if your family refuses to eat certain veggies), change it up and add in what you’d like.

Mix nonfat milk with fat-free cream of mushroom soup.

Pour that sauce into the veggies.

Mix it up.

Add cheese.  The real stuff.  I used extra sharp cheddar because I like that it gives a little extra bang of flavor.

It melts into the sauce nicely.

Mix in chopped, cooked chicken and the pasta.

Add some tabasco for flavah.  And salt and pepper…

Pour it into a greased baking dish.

It looks purdy, don’t it?

More cheese.  I chose Monterey Jack.  The real stuff.

Sprinkle it on the top.

Bake it for a half hour or so, and it comes out all bubbly and hot and melty.

Dish it up and eat!

Since I’ve been using My Fitness Pal (tracking my calories and exercise), I went ahead and figured out the nutritional information for this one and have included that as well as weight watcher points within the printable recipe below.  It’s definitely not a weight watcher kind of recipe, but if you’re on that sort of a diet and you feel like splurging… at least you know the details and can plan for it.  I’m a firm believer in eating what you want on a diet… normal stuff in moderation.  That’s what I did with this recipe.  I had my serving, and that’s it!  Big side salad to go with.  Perfect, and it was filling and satisfying too!

Yield: 6 servings

1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
Two 10.75-ounce cans 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 cup nonfat milk
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick spray.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions, but only cook it until it's al dente (you still want a little bite to it). Drain the pasta and set it aside.

3. Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, celery and bell peppers. Cook until the vegetables have softened, 4 to 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix milk and soup until smooth. Add this mixture to the vegetables in the pan. Stir in cheddar cheese. Continue to heat the mixture until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Add in chicken, pasta and tabasco, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle Jack cheese on top.

4. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and golden brown.

*If you're trying to figure out a serving size for this casserole, simply use a knife to divide the pan into 6 equal servings. There's your serving size (it's pretty substantial)!

*Leftovers of this casserole are great for a couple of days after making it.

*Turn this casserole into a day-after-Thanksgiving meal by adding leftover turkey instead of chicken.

Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1/6th of the casserole
Calories per serving: 490.5
Fat per serving: 22.5g
Saturated Fat per serving: 12.3g
Sugar per serving: 3.3g
Fiber per serving: 2.7g
Protein per serving: 31g
Cholesterol per serving: 89.3mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 39.4g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 13 Old Points Program: 11

79 Responses to “Chicken Spaghetti Casserole”

1. postedOct 24, 2011 3:41 AM

i think this is my husband’s idea of heaven!

2. postedOct 24, 2011 3:49 AM

This sounds lovely! Need to try this one.

3. postedOct 24, 2011 6:27 AM

Seriously – I wnt to eat this right now!

4. postedOct 24, 2011 6:39 AM

I just made something close to this last week; add shiitake mushrooms, onions, garlic, peppers and so much cheese! It’s definitely a great comfort meal as well!

5. postedOct 24, 2011 7:17 AM

this sounds great. what a quick dinner idea.

6. postedOct 24, 2011 7:18 AM

Growing up we called this Tetrazini. It’s always been one of my favorite go-to recipes for ooey gooey cheesy comfort food. Makes me want to put it on my menu plan for next week!

7. postedOct 24, 2011 8:13 AM

This looks great, Lori! Easy weeknight meal for sure!

8. postedOct 24, 2011 8:20 AM

This looks awesome. This is going to be our Wednesday night dinner, when we both get in late and Baby Boy is tired and fussy.

9. postedOct 24, 2011 8:53 AM

I have just fainted. This is MY FAVORITE.

Now I must figure out how to live this day after seeing this.

10. postedOct 24, 2011 9:11 AM

I bet this would be really good made with tortilla chips instead of spaghetti – sort of like dinner chiliquillas (that seems to be a San Diego B-fast specialty). Or maybe corn tortilla strips.

11. postedOct 24, 2011 10:06 AM

Great meal for a cold night!

12. postedOct 24, 2011 10:44 AM

I like a nice casserole as the weather gets cooler (which it is now!), although I don’t make them often. This one looks like something that could cover the comfort food craving easily!

13. postedOct 24, 2011 11:49 AM

I love this recipe, but I add a can of Rotel to it! Yumm with a little kick

• October 24th, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

Great idea!

14. postedOct 24, 2011 2:59 PM

This looks creamy and delicious! I was born in MN and lived there for 10 years – casserole is King there! This would fit right in. Hubby isn’t a big casserole fan, but if I told him it was baked pasta, he would be all over this one!

15. postedOct 24, 2011 5:13 PM

That looks wonderful, a quick, easy week nigh meal. My neighbor is from Minnesota, he also said casseroles are a bit hit there, and they call them hot dish!

16. postedOct 25, 2011 6:56 AM

mmm that looks really good!

17. postedOct 25, 2011 7:06 AM

I love this recipe! It looks amazing and lends itself to have various things added or omitted if necessary. What a great weeknight meal. I also like your idea of using turkey and making this an after Thanksgiving day meal; wonderful!

18. postedOct 25, 2011 4:13 PM

I’m chucking because I”m one of those ex-Californians that doesn’t eat casseroles. However, this grabbed my eye and I’m sure I could be convinced to enjoy.

19. postedOct 25, 2011 4:29 PM

This dish is super yummy and quick! We usually use rotel (you know the tomato mix in a can right) and it’s even more quickly put together! However I like the idea of mixing up the veggies. Thanks

20. postedOct 25, 2011 4:59 PM

This recipe is amazing and was a hit with my family!!!!!

21. postedOct 25, 2011 6:41 PM

I love hearty food that will fill my stomach. Will definitely try this recipe.

22. postedOct 26, 2011 10:50 AM
    The Elegant Eggplant

this looks absolutely delish!! Such a fun, modern take on casserole.

23. postedOct 26, 2011 4:03 PM

I love casseroles and I live in San Diego! BUT…..I grew up back East. :)
    This recipe looks very good.

24. postedOct 26, 2011 4:06 PM

Very disappointed…flavor was good, but WAY too watery! may try again and eliminate the milk.

• October 26th, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

Really? That’s so strange. Mine was thick- not watery at all (see pics). I wonder why the difference?

25. postedOct 26, 2011 5:35 PM
    Ellen in VA

I usually double this and freeze at least half of it. It makes a great dish for a covered dish supper or to take to the family when someone dies. Every time I take it anywhere one or two people asks for the recipe!

26. postedOct 28, 2011 9:04 AM

This was super good. Make a huge meal. I was going to ask about freezing but someone answered my question. Casseroles and an extra meal doesn’t get better than that.

27. postedOct 30, 2011 10:03 AM

This was a hit in my house. I made it last night and it was so good. Follow the instructions and it came out perfect.

28. postedNov 1, 2011 11:22 AM

I also meant to put on my comment, that I put a bag of steamed broccoli in mine to add something green to it! My husband loves it, just made this last night!

29. postedNov 1, 2011 3:20 PM

Only one complaint; I could eat that entire casserole dish by myself. And I wouldn’t share it with anyone!

30. postedNov 3, 2011 11:34 AM

Tried making this last night and loved it. Thanks!

31. postedNov 7, 2011 4:10 PM

The whole family really liked this dish. I put it all together the night before, then just put it in the over when I got home from work.
    The only thing I had do different was to cook it a little longer.

32. postedNov 10, 2011 11:08 AM

This recipe lools Srummdidlyumptious. I’m gona make it 2nite.. and I’m from San Diego. I love casseroles. I have a wonderful Chicken and spinnach casserole recipe.

33. postedNov 14, 2011 4:55 AM

Does this freeze well? I was thinking to make a small dish for my parents after we leave at Thanksgiving, so they have something ready to go for another meal whenever they want it. Thanks!

• November 14th, 2011 @ 7:39 AM

Haven’t frozen this one in particular, but I would freeze it before cooking, then defrost before baking.

34. postedNov 15, 2011 12:55 PM
    Angie Saunders

Has anyone tried it with whole wheat pasta?

• November 15th, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Not yet!

35. postedNov 15, 2011 11:00 PM

Okay you just added about 5 pounds to my ass with this recipe!
    This looks so good and I will be making it soon!

36. postedNov 21, 2011 10:17 PM

Made this tonight and it was a huge hit! Would make again!!

37. postedNov 30, 2011 1:51 PM

This recipe looks so good and I would love to try it! However, I am not a big fan of cream of mushroom soup or really mushrooms in general. Is there anything I can use as a substitute?

• December 1st, 2011 @ 6:38 AM

Cream of chicken?

38. postedDec 18, 2011 9:35 PM

LOOKS AND TASTES AMAZING! never a fan of casserole but LOVED this recipe. so easaaayyyy too :)

39. postedDec 28, 2011 11:52 AM

I LOVE this recipe!! I’ve been making it for years, but I’ve out my own little twists on it. Instead of using regular spaghetti noodles I use penne pasta and I omit the celery. I also use Velveeta cheese instead of shredded cheese. Every time I make it I have to write the recipe down for at least one person who eats it.

40. postedJan 26, 2012 2:14 PM

This looks amazing! I have a “chicken spaghetti” recipe as well, a bit like yours, but also a lot different! I would love to add those huge mushrooms to mine, but I don’t know if I could pass it off to my husband and 4 yr old! LOL

41. postedFeb 21, 2012 10:18 AM
    Brynne, Proud LEO Wife

This looks amazing. I am thinking about making this tonight minus the mushrooms and using whole wheat pasta. I think I will try the Cream of Chicken soup as well. My husband will love having this comfort food ready when he gets home tonight after a long day working Fat Tuesday downtown and my 13 year old son looked at the pictures and said he can’t wait to try it. I’m on Weight Watchers and I am constantly looking for new recipes. Thanks so much Lori!

42. postedMar 26, 2012 7:32 AM

I made this Chicken Spaghetti this weekend, it was delicious! Best Chicken Spaghetti I have ever tasted hands down!

43. postedApr 14, 2012 4:54 PM

I just discovered this site, and cannot wait to try this recipe. I’m going to try it with NoOodles.

VERY excited to look at the rest of the your recipes! :)

44. postedJun 20, 2012 4:32 PM

I was so excited to try this recipe because it looked so good, but halfway through I realized I didn’t check to see if I had all the ingredients! I ended up using a can of Alfredo sauce instead of cream of mushroom, still good, but definitely going to try this again when I have the mushroom soup! Thanks for the recipe! This is my first time here, and I can tell I’m going to be visiting your site more often!

45. postedAug 19, 2012 7:25 AM

I love casseroles. When my hubby agrees with me to try one it’s on…as a matter of fact my veggies are being prepped now;)… let you know how it turns out.

46. postedAug 19, 2012 4:33 PM

The meal was awesome,my sides were green beans and brown and serve rolls,tomorrow I’ll be in the gym for 1 hr spin class…well worth it! Thx for the recipe;)

47. postedSep 22, 2012 6:03 PM

I’m pregnant and nothing ever sounds good to eat….and my morning sickness has been so bad that I’ve lost weight (no good)…..I just made this. Exact to the recipe (plus I added black olives) and baby and I LOVE it! Hardy and healthy. Veggies and dairy and calories. Its also something i can portion control. Not to mention my kitchen smells awesome now.

48. postedSep 28, 2012 9:13 AM
    Andrea Georges

My husband loves Chicken Spaghetti but when I make it I use velveeta and rotel tomatoes. Gives it that kick!

49. postedOct 14, 2012 9:54 AM

Thanks for this recipe. I made it for my aunt, uncle and grandpa after my grandma passed away last weekend. It was a big hit, and help ease the pain, I think. The flavors are perfect as is, I didn’t change a thing about the recipe.

50. postedNov 9, 2012 6:53 PM

This casserole is soooooo good! Just made it last night. Posted a pic on Facebook and everybody wanted the recipe. So, I’ve directed them to your site! I used reduced fat cheese and I guess I’ll never know the difference, it was delicious!!! Definitely going to check out some of your other recipes. I love finding new dishes to make. Get tired of the same old meals all the time. Thanks!!!

51. postedNov 20, 2012 5:33 AM

I didn’t grow up on casseroles myself, but often get requests to make them. I do like having something you can put together in the morning, then reheat in the evening. This casserole looks pretty dang good!

52. postedJan 18, 2013 4:18 PM

Great dish! Only changes I made were I used crushed red pepper when I sautéed my chicken, instead of using tabasco. Also Instead if parsley, I used fresh basil. I added it at the very end of cooking my chicken.

53. postedFeb 3, 2013 8:32 PM

What happens when you don’t like mushrooms what can of soup can i use instead? thanks

• February 4th, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

Perhaps Cream of Chicken?

54. postedDec 28, 2013 5:25 PM

Do you cover the dish when you put it in the oven to bake? Plan on cooking this tomorrow. Looks yummy! Thanks

• December 29th, 2013 @ 7:36 PM

Nope- just bake it as directed!

55. postedJan 8, 2014 9:51 AM

If cream of mush is not to your liking, try cream of celery. I sub this often, especially if celery is already called for.

56. postedJan 19, 2014 9:51 AM
    Sue V

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made this last night using Barilla gluten-free spaghetti and Pacific Natural Foods Organic gluten-free Condensed Soup; 1 mushroom and 1 chicken. It was fabulous!! It was even better warmed up for lunch today.

57. postedJan 19, 2014 7:27 PM

I just tried your recipe, changing it to my own taste with respect to the veggies, sauces, and other stuff. My entire family has enjoyed every single bite!! Thank you!

58. postedFeb 4, 2014 9:15 PM

Could I substitute Cream of Chicken or another cream based soup for the cream of mushroom?

• February 5th, 2014 @ 8:10 AM

Yes, that should probably be just fine.

59. postedFeb 17, 2014 5:31 PM
    Suzanne Smith

Made this casserole for supper tonight, and it was delicious… not to mention beautiful! Had to cut back on the onion a bit to help my hubby’s tummy, but that’s the only change I made. Wasn’t sure I would like the cream of mushroom soup, but it was great. Absolutely loved the kick from the Tabasco! I will definitely be making this for our community group in the near future.

60. postedMar 8, 2014 12:18 PM

This recipe sounds really good! I will certainly try it but I have just one question. By 8 ounces cheddar cheese, do you mean an 8 oz bag (about 2 cups) or 1 cup?

• March 10th, 2014 @ 6:22 AM

Yes, 8-ounces of cheese is 2 cups. If you are measuring liquid, then 8-ounces = 1 cup.

61. postedMar 11, 2014 2:28 PM

I have made another version of this several times before, but today I used your recipe. My son and I both enjoyed it. I like that your version adds plenty of veggies. I only have Almond Milk around these days, so I substituted Chicken Broth in lieu of Milk to loosen the Cream of Mushroom mixture. I stuck to the recipe besides the one substitution and it worked out great! I will definitely be making this version from now on. Hopefully I can find something else yummy on your site! Thanks a bunch!

62. postedApr 8, 2014 4:36 PM

I made this tonight with a few modifications and it was Absolutely delicious! I used ground chicken, almond milk (only 3o cal per cup) cheddar cheese made with 2% milk, and gluten free spaghetti. My Hubby has lots of allergies! It still turned out great!

63. postedApr 10, 2014 4:56 PM

I made this recipe exactly as posted, it is excellent! Have you made it and baked it the next day? I didn’t know if the pasta would soak up the liquids if refrigerated overnight.

• April 14th, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

I have not, and I might be worried about the same thing!

64. postedMay 29, 2014 12:27 PM

I love this recipe! Thank you for blogging about it. I am making it for the second time today – using a bacon peppercorn rotisserie chicken from publix. Yummy!!

65. postedDec 5, 2014 12:53 PM
    Rebecca Jacobs

I was wondering what the nutitional calculations would be if I substituted spaghetti squash for the spaghetti.
    Do you have that information available?

• December 10th, 2014 @ 7:15 PM

no idea!

66. postedDec 5, 2014 8:51 PM
    Kay Abrams

Will try, luv casseroles!! Discovered that casserole topped with lowfat or veggie cheese, then spayed with pam, then baked… makes the lowfat cheese melt (gives it just enuf oil to melt)!!

67. postedFeb 27, 2015 2:49 AM

OMG! I live in San Diego county and all I did to make it less comfort more California is substitute cooked cauliflower for the spaghetti and a mixture of half and half and sour cream for the soup! It was amazing! My husband eats low carb and loved it. Thank you soooo much.