Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This is a really good, lower-fat version of the chicken enchilada casserole...
1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup beer
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (divided)
2 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced olives, drained (divided)
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies, drained
5 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
2 cups 1% low fat milk
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side, or until done. Remove chicken from skillet and let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.
3. Re-coat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper and tomatoes; cook 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 Tablespoon green onions and 1 Tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir in remaining green onions, olives and chilies into chicken mixture; set aside.
4. Combine flour, salt, cumin and coriander in medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.
5. Place cheeses in bowl; toss well and set aside.
6. Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of casserole dish. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set aside remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture.
7. Bake, uncovered, or 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, reserved green onions and olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Nutritional Information- Per Serving (casserole divided into 8 equal portions):
Calories 254, Calories from Fat 111, Total Fat 12g, Sat Fat 6g, Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 542g, Potassium 341mg, Carbohydrates 23g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugar 5g, Net Carbs 20g, Protein 13.5g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 7 Old Points Program: 6.5