This Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing is the perfect, light side dish to a heavy Mexican food meal.
I find it tough to locate Mexican-style side dishes that aren’t starchy (rice), heavy (beans), or fattening (quesadillas.) Since many Mexican main dishes tend to be starchy, heavy and fattening themselves, it’s refreshing to have something light to serve alongside. A salad is the perfect choice!
What are the ingredients for this Mexican Chopped Salad?
This salad is smack-full of good stuff like black beans, tomato, jicama, corn, radishes, avocado, red bells and reduced-fat feta cheese. You could certainly sub Cotija (Mexican) cheese for the feta if you’d like, but it will be higher in fat. All of these ingredients are combined with chopped Romaine lettuce.
Honey- Lime Dressing:
This is the wonderful salad dressing that is used for this Mexican Chopped Salad. It’s homemade, and it’s quick and easy to make. Oh, and it’s simple too! You’ll combine freshly squeezed lime juice with olive oil, honey, fresh cilantro, minced garlic and jalapeno. It’s the perfect pairing for a Mexican salad.
This vegetarian salad is tossed with the dressing. The dressing will coat it lightly. It’s packed with flavor and crunch. You won’t miss that there isn’t any meat in it! Though you could always add some chopped steak or chicken, if you’d like to make it a main-dish salad.
Let me know if you try it. Enjoy!
Here are a few more salad recipes you might like to try:
- Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
- Chopped Vegetable Salad with Feta and Olives
- Black Bean Taco Salad
- Steak Fajita Pasta Salad
- Layered Nacho Salad
- Quesadilla Cobb Salad
- Chopped Chef Salad
- Southwest Spinach Salad
- Easy Gourmet Salad
Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing
- 2 ½ cups chopped romaine lettuce
- One 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup peeled and chopped jicama
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (or use canned or frozen)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
HONEY- LIME DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno
- Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over mixture and toss again. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- WW points are counted as this recipe divided into 4 servings.
This was awesome! So refreshing and the perfect flavor profile to go with my Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas! So light and refreshing! Will also serve this as a main dish by adding some grill chicken breast!
This recipe looks amazing and it will pair perfectly with my Smokey Chicken Taco Recipe! Thank you for the inspriation
Excellent! Light, fresh-tasting dressing and lots of flavour- satusfying.
I’ve been making this Self Magazine salad for many years – probably started making it 2006! It’s one of my favorites for parties and potlucks.
Loving the light and fresh flavors of this side dish! Perfect for summer picnics and backyard barbecues.
I just used your dressing on a very simple green salad to go with the carne asada burritos I was making and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing! Now I can use the rest on a steak salad for lunch tomorrow. 😉
This was delicious! We were looking for a quick tasty dinner, and even though we didn’t have the jicama or radishes, we did add some shrimp cooked w/ cayenne & garlic oil, and it made it a full meal instead of just a pre-dinner salad. Delicious as a wrap too!