Here’s a salad I created for all of the meat lovers out there: Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
My husband is one of those guys who doesn’t picture “salad” as dinner. I’ve mentioned this many times before, but he’s actually beginning to come around to the idea! I’ve convinced him that if I add things like spicy marinated and grilled AMAZING skirt steak and gorgonzola crumbles to the salad, that it becomes much more than just a measly old salad. He’s definitely on board for this Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad!
Marinade Doubles as dressing for this Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad:
The steak marinade I created ALSO acts as the salad dressing (bonus!). You’ll need the Cholula Green Pepper Hot Sauce for this recipe. It’s spicy on its own, but in the marinade it just adds to the flavor (the steak does not come out majorly spicy or anything). In the dressing, you’ll taste a little bit of a kick, but that’s all balanced out with the sweet berries and tangy gorgonzola in the salad.
It’s all a beautiful summer salad combination. If you’ve never had berries in a salad, then you totally need to try it. And combined with steak… it’s just really, really good.
My husband was very happy with this salad, and he gave his stamp of approval to share with my readers as a main dish salad recipe. I’m pretty sure I’d have shared it even if he wasn’t into it!
What kind of steak should you use for steak salad?
I used skirt steak in this salad, which is my favorite cut of steak to use for steak salad… SO good and tender. The marinade in this recipe is PERFECT for the skirt steak. Hint: Whole Foods has skirt steak, and you can pick up a small amount of it instead of buying it already packaged at the regular market. You can also use flank steak, though it’s thicker and will take a bit longer to grill.
The next time you’re making dinner, consider making Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad for dinner. It’s great! Enjoy!
Here are a few more salad recipes you might like to try:
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Romaine and Broccoli Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
- Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds
- Melon Prosciutto Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Bruschetta Chicken Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
STEAK AND MARINADE/DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cholula Green Pepper Hot Sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces skirt or flank steak (I prefer skirt!)
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
PREPARE MARINADE AND DRESSING:
- In a medium bowl or jar, whisk together the oil, vinegar, hot sauce, garlic, honey, lime and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Remove 1/3 cup of the mixture and set it aside to use as the salad dressing. Place steak in a large ziploc baggie. Add remaining marinade to the bag and move around to combine. Refrigerate and let marinate for at least a couple of hours and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Drain the marinade from the steak. Grill the steak until done- a few minutes on each side (it cooks quickly since this is such a thin cut). Let rest a few minutes, then chop the steak.
ASSEMBLE THE SALADS:
- Divide the lettuce between two plates. Divide the remaining ingredients in half and decoratively arrange on top of the lettuce. Drizzle the reserved salad dressing on top of each salad and serve.