This Blackened Steak Salad is an easy salad to put together, and it has a very simple homemade dressing to go with it.
This salad has few ingredients. Spinach is used for the greens of the salad, and you’ll add black beans, roasted red peppers (use fresh ones, if you’d like!), avocado and blackened steak.
How do you make blackened steak?
Steak is usually referred to as “blackened” when it has been tossed with a variety of spices before cooking. In this recipe, sirloin steak is cut into cubes and tossed with a decent amount of Cajun seasoning. Cajun seasoning is sold in your market’s spice aisle. If you don’t want to buy Cajun seasoning, you can use the spices you have in your spice cupboard to make your own Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
You’ll just cook the cubed, seasoned steak in a skillet with a little bit of nonstick spray until the steak bites are cooked through. Then you can let them cool a bit before you add them to the salad.
The dressing is non-traditional and surprisingly simple. All you will have to do is mix light sour cream with and equal amount of salsa and a couple of tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice. Using a blender to combine these three ingredients is your best bet. It makes a fabulous dressing for this salad!
This is a lighter salad recipe than most. There isn’t any cheese in the recipe (though you can add it in if you’d like), and the flavors are simple. I love to serve it on a summer evening with wine and maybe a hunk of French bread too.
Here are a few more main dish salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Chinese Grilled Chicken Salad
- Blackberry Salad with Pork
- Classic Cobb Salad
- Po’ Boy Shrimp Pasta Salad
- Spinach Salad with Chicken, Avocado and Goat Cheese
- Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
- Ultimate Taco Salad
- BLT Grilled Cheese Salad with Ranch Dressing
Blackened Steak Salad
- 16 ounces top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 7.25-ounce jar roasted red bell pepper strips, drained
- 1 large peeled avocado, cut into chunks
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
PREPARE THE STEAK:
- Put steak cubes in a bowl and add the Cajun seasoning. Toss to combine. Preheat a medium nonstick skillet or grill pan, and spray with nonstick spray. Add the steak to the pan; cook and stir until steak is cooked through.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- If you have a blender, add the dressing ingredients to the blender and process until smooth. Otherwise, just stir together in a bowl until well-combined.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Add the spinach to a large bowl. Add the black beans, bell pepper, avocado and cooked steak. Drizzle desired amount of dressing on top and toss. Dish out individual servings, and serve with additional dressing on the side- as well as freshly ground black pepper.