Here’s a salad recipe that everyone will want to try! > BLT Grilled Cheese Salad with Ranch Dressing
Yep, this one is a typical BLT salad with the addition of some grilled cheese “croutons.” The Newman’s® Own Ranch Dressing really finishes it off nicely. This is one that the kiddos will enjoy too!
Ten finalists for the Newman’s Own “Greens for Good” Salad Recipe Contest have been posted online at www.newmansown.com/
Here’s the list of finalists, their chosen charity and their salad!
- #1: Carolyn Kumpe (Food Literacy Center)- Spicy Lime Poppy Seed Chicken Salad w/ Kiwi and Avocados
- #2: Mychal Boiser (Kona Kai Coffee)- RGB Mahi Mahi Chop’t
- #3: Robbin Wagner (Operation Family Fund)- Crunchy Thai Chicken Quinoa Salad w/ Spicy Peanut Dressing
- #4: Cathy Ottley (Junior League of Atlanta)- Grilled Chicken Salsa Summer Salad
- #5: Krista MacGregor (Hartford Food System)- Ki-Elements Summer Abundance Salad
- #6: Fay Roberts (Braille Institute L.A. Educational Programs)- Quinoa Crunch Salad
- #7: Jamie Brocker (Food Recovery Network)- Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad
- #8: Diane Coates (Emmanuel Cancer Foundation)- Autumn Harvest Kale Salad w/Honey Maple Dressing
- #9: Amy Meiers (Steele Lane School Enrichment Foundation)- Steele Lane Super-Star Salad
- #10: Megan Huffman (Meyer Center for Special Children)- Spiralized Sesame Ginger Salad w/ Sweet & Spicy Shrimp
Chef Hugh Acheson will be judging the top 10 semi-finalist recipes and will help to decide the winner of the contest. On October 21, 2015 Newman’s Own will announce the $35,000 grand prize winner and charity, as well as nine runners-up, who will each have $1,000 donated to a charity of their choice. Be sure to vote for your favorite, and good luck to the semi-finalists!
If I had entered the contest, this is the recipe I would have gone with. It’s easy. It’s family friendly. And it’s totally delicious! Those little grilled cheese croutons are the best!
The ranch dressing used in the recipe is key to making it really good. Ranch goes perfectly with tomatoes and bacon and grilled cheese. It was a good choice!
I make salad pretty much every single day in my house, and I’m always trying to find new ways to top my greens. I think you’ll find that this salad recipe is a good one!
Here are a few salad tips from Chef Hugh Acheson:
- Store your lettuces in sealable plastic bags wrapped in a damp paper towel (I do this!)
- Expand your vision of the crouton. Bagel chips and crisp farro can play the role of good crispness in salads (I wonder if he’d be impressed with my croutons?!)
- Add crisp apple or pear and some good cheese and make that salad a full meal (I agree!)
- Crisping tofu in the oven is an easy way to get protein into any salad (I haven’t tried this one yet)
- Make a salad based on what you have in the refrigerator and not what you think you need (great tip!)
BLT Grilled Cheese Salad with Ranch Dressing
Prep Time:20 minutes
- 2 handfuls chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 handfuls chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups pear tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 grilled cheese sandwich, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- Newman's Own Ranch Dressing
- Divide lettuce between two large salad bowls. Sprinkle tomatoes and bacon on top. Add grilled cheese cubes.
- Drizzle with dressing, and serve!
- For your grilled cheese sandwich in this recipe, I think sharp cheddar and sourdough bread work great!
Here are a few more BLT salad recipes you might enjoy:
- 20 Minute BLT Easy Pasta Salad by Baker By Nature
- BLT Chopped Salad by Averie Cooks
- BLT Wedge Salad by Katie’s Cucina
- BBQ Salmon BLT Salad by Iowa Girl Eats
Disclosure: This post was written in partnership with Newman’s Own to help spread the word about their Greens for Good Salad Recipe Contest. Any opinions shared about their products are entirely my own.