This Fresh Corn Salad is a must-make is you have access to some sweet, fresh corn.
If you are looking for a really easy summer salad to make- maybe something different from green salad that you’d like to serve with your dinner, this Fresh Corn Salad is the one to make! The recipe originally appeared in Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I love that she took such simple ingredients and put them together to make such a great salad. That’s a great cookbook, by the way. I use it often to make so many delicious recipes in the book.
- 3 corn on the cob
- red onion
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
How to make Fresh Corn Salad:
Cook your corn cobs in salted boiling water for about 3 minutes. Cool off the corn cobs in an ice water bath, and then cut the corn from the cobs. The corn is combined with chopped red onion and fresh basil strips in a serving bowl.
How to cut Basil:
Stack all of the fresh basil leaves you need on top of each other. Roll them up tightly. Use a sharp knife to slice the roll of basil leaves into thin slices. Your strips of basil will all be uniform in size if you do it this way.
Then the corn, onion and basil are tossed together with a simple vinaigrette made of olive oil, cider vinegar, salt and pepper. That’s it! It’s such an easy summer salad recipe to make.
Make ahead instructions:
Fresh Corn Salad is a great make-ahead salad recipe! Simply combine the corn, red onion and vinaigrette. Add the fresh basil leaves right before serving. Keep it covered and refrigerated. You can make it several hours ahead.
Here are a few more salads featuring corn that you might like to try:
- Grilled Corn Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salad with Prosciutto
- Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad
- Lime and Honey Glazed Salmon with Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Corn and Cucumber Picnic Salad
- Fresh Corn, Zucchini and Tomato Salad
- Fritos Corn Salad
- Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad with Balsamic Basil Dressing
Fresh Corn Salad
- 5 large corn on the cob, shucked
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn cobs for 3 minutes only. Drain and immerse them in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
- Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions and basil. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, vinegar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with the corn salad. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature. If you are going to make the corn salad a few hours ahead, leave out the basil and toss it in right before serving.