The dressing is what makes this Romaine and Broccoli Salad so good. It’s tossed with the most delicious Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing.
Romaine and Broccoli Salad
Sometimes you just need a good salad recipe. Sure, it’s easy to put together some lettuce, tomato and cucumber and call it a side salad to have with dinner. But it’s so much more fun to make a more interesting salad!
This salad uses Romaine lettuce as the base of the salad. What makes this salad more interesting than others? There are a good amount of vegetables mixed in. Plenty of broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms, grape tomatoes, sliced cucumber and red onions are in this salad too.
When making a salad, most people don’t bother to add much to a lettuce-based salad. But including a good bulk of additional veggies makes the salad more hearty and filling.
This recipe makes a large salad. It’s enough to feed 8 or 10 people! If you don’t need to feed that many people, feel free to cut the recipe in half.
Romaine and Broccoli Salad with Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing
This Romaine and Broccoli Salad is tossed with a delicious dressing too. The dressing takes some time to make since it begins with roasting a couple of heads of garlic. Believe me when I say that taking the time to make the dressing is totally worth it. Roasted garlic is amazing, and it’s really easy to do.
How do you Roast Garlic?
Slice the top 1/2 inch from each head of garlic. Place each, cut side up, on large square of foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil. Enclose each in foil. Roast packets directly on an oven rack at 325 degrees F. until the garlic is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
After roasting, you can squeeze the garlic out because it turns into a paste-like consistency. It’s combined with mayonnaise, buttermilk and herbs to create the delicious creamy roasted garlic salad dressing for this Romaine and Broccoli Salad.
If you’re looking for more ways to use broccoli in your kitchen, you might like to try my Broccoli with Hot Bacon Dressing or this Broccoli Slaw. Cheesy Broccoli Bake, Broccoli- Potato Soup, and Chicken, Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry are good broccoli-themed recipes too.
Romaine and Broccoli Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
This simple vegetable salad is tossed with the most wonderful creamy roasted garlic dressing.
- 2 heads garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 whole hearts of Romaine, torn into pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 small English hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
ROAST THE GARLIC:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Slice top 1/2 inch from each head of garlic. Place each, cut side up, on large square of foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil. Enclose each in foil. Roast packets directly on oven rack until garlic is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Carefully open foil; cool.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- Squeeze roasted garlic into a medium bowl; mash. Whisk in remaining dressing ingredients.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Add dressing, a little at a time (you may not wish to use it all); toss. Season with more salt and pepper, as desired.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.
- *The dressing may be made up to one day ahead- cover and chill.
- *Use low fat mayo and buttermilk to cut back on some of the calories.
- *Cut this recipe in half if you don't have to feed 10 people.