This healthy Broccoli Potato Soup is great comfort food!
Broccoli Potato Soup
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium sized red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes but not peeled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two 14.25-ounce cans fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- One 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/4 pounds broccoli, trimmed, divided into small florets, stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (you should end up with about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in very large heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until ripples appear on pan bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, flour, salt, and pepper, stirring well to mix. Slowly add chicken broth and evaporated milk, stirring all the while. Bring quickly to a boil, again stirring.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, parsley, and basil and simmer uncovered, stirring now and then, until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use a brand of broth that is known to be GF, and use a thickener replacement for the all-purpose flour- such as potato starch.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe): Calories: 176, Fat per: 3g, Saturated Fat: .5g, Sugar: 8.6g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 9g, Cholesterol: 2.5mg, Carbohydrates: 30g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 6, PointsPlus: 5, Old Points Program: 4