This Broccoli Slaw is a fabulous side dish salad to serve with grilled meats or pulled pork.
I have to admit. I absolutely love this salad. I mean… I really, really love it. I tend to have an affinity for the sweeter things in life, and this slaw has a sweet and tangy dressing. So for us sweets-lovers, this recipe is for us. More things about this slaw that make it appealing: it’s crunchy and colorful and delicious.
The recipe comes from a cookbook I’ve been browsing lately: The Wellness Kitchen: Fresh, Flavorful Recipes for a Healthier You by Paulette Lambert. This is a cookbook that promises more than 100 recipes with wholesome and flavorful foods to incorporate into any diet. You’ll find recipes in the book for all meals of the day. I’m eyeing the following: Blueberry- Banana Bran Muffins, Tabouleh Salad with Grilled Vegetables, Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crostini, Hoisin Salmon Burger with Ginger Aioli, Honey- Pecan Crusted Chicken, Sauteed Balsamic Brussels Sprouts, White Lasagna with Turkey Sausage and Deep Dish Apple Cobbler. Yum, right?? The author also shares a 21-day food plan for health and weight loss, if you are interested.
How to make Broccoli Slaw:
This recipe couldn’t be any easier to make! You’ll combine all of the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk them together. Then you’ll add the slaw ingredients and toss those with the dressing. The key part making this slaw a delicious success is to make it a few hours ahead. Just wrap it and keep it chilled in the refrigerator for a few hours to give the flavor of the dressing a chance to make an impact on the slaw. Leftovers are good for a few days too. It’s a great salad!
I serve this slaw with pulled pork sliders, and it is always a big hit with my family. We eat every nibble. This recipe is on permanent repeat for me.
One of my readers suggested substituting edamame for the peas and Sriracha sauce in place of Tabasco sauce. I think that’s a great suggestion if you want to change things up!
The Best Slaw Recipes:
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Jicama and Carrot Slaw with Honey-Lime Dressing
- Creamy Buttermilk Cole Slaw
- Mango Slaw
- Greek Style Cole Slaw
- Fruit and Nut Slaw
- Apple Cole Slaw
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- One 12-ounce bag broccoli slaw
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
MAKE THE SLAW:
- Add the slaw ingredients to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Make this salad a few hours before serving so the full flavor develops.
- This slaw can be kept up to 3 days in the refrigerator if you're lucky enough to have any left!