This Mexican Coleslaw recipe is a terrific side dish to add to a Mexican meal.
Eating Mexican food usually involves eating beans and rice, margaritas and plenty of tortilla chips, right? For that reason, we usually only indulge in Mexican food every once in a while. But when we make it at home, I always try to lighten up the rest of the meal as much as possible. A Mexican Coleslaw to serve along enchiladas or tacos is a great idea. It lightens up the meal a bit (in a delicious way), but you still get the comfort of indulging in the rest.
This is a simple recipe with few ingredients. The slaw has good flavor with a hint of being Mexican-style.
Ingredients needed for the slaw:
- red bell pepper
- green onions
How to make Mexican Coleslaw:
Combine the slaw ingredients in a bowl. You can cut the red bell pepper in thinner strips or you can chop it if you prefer.
Then you’ll add the dressing. The dressing is a combination of mayonnaise (it’s okay to use light), cider vinegar, sugar, minced garlic and ground cumin. Toss the dressing with the slaw.
Sprinkle in some chopped fresh cilantro after the slaw is tossed with the dressing. Add a little salt and pepper, and that’s it! It’s a super easy recipe. At this point, you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate your Mexican Coleslaw until you’re ready to serve it. It will be good for making ahead up to 24 hours until serving time.
More serving suggestions:
It’s a great slaw for adding to fish tacos. Just tuck it inside the tortilla with the fish. And it would be a good one to add to pulled pork sandwiches too.
Weight Watchers Friendly:
This slaw makes 5 side dish servings. If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below. Be sure to use light mayonnaise if you’re counting WW Points. Enjoy!
The Best Coleslaw Recipes:
- Creamy Buttermilk Cole Slaw
- Apple Cole Slaw
- Greek Style Cole Slaw
- Corn Cabbage Tangy Cole Slaw
- Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
- ½ cup mayonnaise (light mayonnaise is fine)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely sliced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup minced fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and garlic and cumin in a bowl until well combined.
PREPARE THE SLAW:
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, bell pepper and green onions together.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- Can be prepared and refrigerated up to 24 hours in advance.
- If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just make sure you are using a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.
Sounds good except for the cilantro, don’t like the taste