posted in 4th of July

Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

This is the story of how I saved an ugly cookie.  Actually, let me re-phrase that… how I saved a disgustingly ugly-looking cookie that was totally worthy of eating but not appropriate for sharing with anyone, let alone on the blog.  I decided to share them anyway because they have a funny story behind them, they ended up with a happy ending, and they were darn good too! Here are my Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting.

I’m not sure how I found this recipe, but it was randomly tucked into the comments of another recipe on the internet that I happened to be looking at.  I used that base recipe to create these.  This cookie dough begins with a red velvet cake mix, and the batter is super duper thick.  It’s so thick that I’m just gonna warn you right now that you’d better use a strong wooden spoon to stir it all up.

I had the brilliant idea of scooping mine into a big plastic bag and squeezing it onto my baking sheet.  This was just a bad idea.  It created unwanted swirls.  It would have been MUCH better to use a cookie scoop, or even a spoon for that matter.  You’ll find out why very soon…

I stuck a Hershey’s Hug Kiss in the center of each red velvet cookie dough blob.

And then squeezed some more cookie dough on top to sandwich it all together.

Here’s the part where I pretty much fell on the floor sort of laughing and crying.  What do those look like to you??  Little piles of red velvet cow poop, right?  Yep, I made red velvet cow poop cookies.  NICE.  The funny thing is that they were really delicious!  They were not super cakey- just kind of like a regular cookie but a little soft- and then had that wonderful bite of chocolate in the middle.

After sharing my red velvet cow poop cookie photo with my Instagram (find me there as RecipeGirl) friends, they suggested I rescue the cookies with a swirl of cream cheese frosting.  So I did.  All better.  Unless some unsuspecting individual licked the frosting off of the cookie, no one would have a clue what they once looked like.

They actually turned out kind of pretty after all!

And there’s a peek at that wonderful surprise of melted chocolate on the inside.  These were a little messy (as is all red velvet), and the cookie dough is a strange consistency (thick!), but they’re really pretty easy to make and they’re quite delicious too.  I had to force myself to stay away from them after I sampled a couple too many.  The kiddos in the neighborhood enjoyed them too- though my son had to tell them all the cow poop story and ruin my reputation.  Giggles all around :)

Yield: About 24 cookies

Prep Time: 45 min

Cook Time: 12 min

Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

These are easy-to-make cookies, but the batter is very thick. It might seem very strange to work with such a thick batter, but not to worry... they bake up just fine :)

1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
4 to 5 large egg whites (start with 4... see *tips below)
1/2 cup sour cream

24 Hershey's "Hugs" Kisses (White Chocolate + Milk Chocolate), unwrapped

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream or milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

2. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix 4 egg whites and sour cream, then use a WOODEN SPOON to mix it into the dry mixture. The mixture will be very thick. Add an additional egg white if it's impossible to stir. A thick batter is what you're looking for though.
You'll think it's way too thick (I did. I thought... there is no way this is going to work out!) but it does work out and bakes up into a tender cookie.

3. Use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to drop a tablespoon of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Press a kiss into the cookie dough, and then top the kiss with another tablespoon of dough. Just kind of plop it on top... it will bake together in the oven and keep the Kiss inside. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough. Bake 12 to 13 minutes, until the cookies are set. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. If you'd like to frost them, you should do so just before serving them. Use your favorite frosting recipe, use a canned frosting (for ease) or use my quick recipe. Just use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese with 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar and drizzle in enough whipping cream or milk to create a nice spreading consistency, adding more powdered sugar if needed. Spread the frosting on the cookies. Top with decorative sprinkles, if desired.

*If topped with the homemade cream cheese frosting, the cookies will need to be kept in the refrigerator in a covered container. Bring to room temperature when ready to serve or nibble.

Source: (Adapted from this base recipe)

51 Responses to “Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. postedFeb 10, 2012 4:00 AM

These definitely turned out very cute in the end (no pun intended:-)). They sound delicious, too!

2. postedFeb 10, 2012 4:39 AM

Love all the layers on these cookies!

3. postedFeb 10, 2012 5:32 AM

They might not have been the prettiest cookies to start but they sound absolutely delicious!

4. postedFeb 10, 2012 6:03 AM

You did a great job saving these. I keep laughing when I look at the picture without the icing.

5. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:04 AM

Hilarity. The thing is though, if there have been two colors swirled around in the cookie it wouldn’t have looked like poop probably. Great idea dding the cream cheese on top cause what’s red velvet without it?

6. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:05 AM

Such a unique idea! I just made red velvet cupcakes yesterday. I love anything red velvet.

7. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:36 AM

Lori these cookies look so delicious and I was giggling at your comments about them on instagram yesterday. The frosting and the hersheys kiss are beautiful additions…I want one of these, like now!

8. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:44 AM

Perfect way to top these off. I giggled at your Instagram post too…I love that you found a way to turn these into cookies that you wanted to share. Love it!

9. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:48 AM

You have tickled me this morning; I needed that! Rolling laughing at the “red velvet cow poop”! It made me feel better, as I completely bombed something red velvet the other day–but I couldn’t save mine like you did!

10. postedFeb 10, 2012 7:52 AM

Fun post :) These look delicious!

11. postedFeb 10, 2012 8:09 AM

This just TOTALLY cracks me up!!! and I love that you came up with a solution!!

any now you have a good cookie idea for April Fools! {wink}

12. postedFeb 10, 2012 8:51 AM

13. postedFeb 10, 2012 8:51 AM
    Linda Hielscher

You had me tearing up this morning. I saw your post, paged through it without reading first. Came to the picture looking down on your little swirls. Thought … yikes, looks like what I go around our yard daily picking up with the pooper scooper. LOL They look good, but I’m back to being good with WW. Maybe later. Thanks for the giggle.

14. postedFeb 10, 2012 11:03 AM

Loooove the idea of sneaking a kiss in there…literally :)

15. postedFeb 10, 2012 1:57 PM
    Lashavous Ashmon

LOL!!! Great post – the recipe sounds delicious (and EASY).

16. postedFeb 10, 2012 1:58 PM

Love hearing about mishaps turning into successful recipes! At the end of the day, it’s all about the taste anyway, right?

17. postedFeb 10, 2012 2:16 PM

Im totally gonna make these thanks for sharing!

18. postedFeb 11, 2012 4:00 AM

they look great, and one would never know…

OK so I am totally addicted to the cauliflower pizza, I have made it 4 times so far…I love it…can one overdose on cauliflower?

BTW because I have been making it so much, I did a little experiment with the recipe and cut down on the cheese to one cup, it worked fine, and less calories too!!!

19. postedFeb 11, 2012 10:00 AM
    Jennifer | Mother Thyme

Couldn’t wait to see your post of these after seeing the pictures on Instagram. Love everything about these tasty cookies! If only I had a few to nibble on right now!

20. postedFeb 11, 2012 10:44 AM
    Jen @ Juanita's Cocina

That is the best looking piece of poop I’ve ever seen. I’d eat it!

21. postedFeb 11, 2012 3:37 PM

Love it! Hilarious, but what an amazing save! I am sure they are delicious with the kiss in the center too!

22. postedFeb 11, 2012 4:06 PM

Love the story ‘behind’ the cookie!!!!! Teehee!
    I’d love to make them with milk chocolate Kisses.
    Thanks for the laugh as well as the recipe!

23. postedFeb 11, 2012 8:47 PM

After seeing your tweets about the disappointment, I’m happy to see you rescued your forlorn little red cherubs. Love the chocolate sneak attack and that last photo of your perfect bite will make your teenage orthodontist proud.

24. postedFeb 12, 2012 4:12 AM

Oh my, I need to try these! Everything you make looks absolutely heavenly!

25. postedFeb 12, 2012 7:22 AM

LOL Red velvet POOP cookies….LOL Thanks I really needed a good laugh tonite. Kinda reminds me when I was a kid + mud pies + green food coloring. So, anyway so very happy you added the frosting…they really do look yummy….funny…but yummy.

26. postedFeb 12, 2012 11:51 AM
    RecipeGirl's Mom

I loved your story. Laughter is a good way to start my day. Thanks!

27. postedFeb 13, 2012 10:45 AM

I modified these slightly by leaving out the hershey kiss and making these like whoopie pies. I did add a little veg oil to the batter as it was still really thick after 5 egg whites. I used a 1 inch scoop, flattened them out a little and cooked for 10 minutes. I had been wanting to make whoopies pies for a long time and this made it really easy. They turned out so delicous and moist! Thanks for the recipe!

28. postedFeb 14, 2012 7:38 AM

i really love everything about these cookies! Especially the surprise inside :) So gorgeous…i have an obsession with non-pareils! Happy V-Day!

29. postedFeb 14, 2012 8:42 AM

Super funny! I love that you posted the *red poop piles*!!! They look so yummy lol! Thank you for this recipe..i’d really like to try it! :)

30. postedFeb 14, 2012 10:17 AM

remember pretty is as pretty does, and I am pretty sure that these are yummy!! I WILL make these! thanks. :)

31. postedFeb 14, 2012 7:18 PM

ROFL! I laughed so loud and long, the cat came in and is meowing at me. (I can’t laugh in this house without the cat saying something about it.) I would totally make these as cow plop cookies for the kiddos, except that the frosting just takes them over the top. Yummage!

32. postedFeb 17, 2012 5:24 AM

HaHaHa! ~ This made me laugh so hard! Thanks for sharing this experience with us! It’s a good thing you weren’t using chocolate cake batter! Ha ha ha!!

33. postedFeb 24, 2012 7:30 AM

These look deeee-vine!! LOVE them.

34. postedMar 2, 2012 11:51 AM

I made these and they tasted so great! even without the kiss in the middle, it was still good! Tasted better the next day after refrigeration

35. postedMar 7, 2012 7:09 PM

These sound and look absolutely delicious!! I actually probably would’ve enjoyed their original shape since my friends and I are strangely amused by cow-poop shaped things… Since my spring break is coming up soon, I’ll probably try making these and sharing them with my family and my friends who are also home for break! The kiss in the middle seems like the perfect little surprise. I think I’ll try some with cream cheese frosting and some without. As someone else said, you can’t go wrong with cream cheese when it comes to red velvet!

36. postedApr 30, 2012 11:24 AM

Just made these. Cookies are cooling and in the meantime I made the icing. YUM! Can’t wait to try. This is a test bake for me as I will be using these for my company bake off on May 7th!
    Wish me luck!

37. postedJul 1, 2012 3:30 PM

I am definitely going to try these out for the fire department fundraiser we are holding in a couple weeks. I’ll do a test batch this weekend and go from there. Just so you know I’m so glad they turned out looking like cow patties, I think everyone will get a kick out of them if I leave the topping off, and it will really help bring some donations to a great cause. We live in Texas so what’s better than cow patty cookies?

38. postedJul 8, 2012 6:53 PM

Definitely trying these within the next week. My boyfriend mentioned how much he loves red velvet cookies when we first started going out. I’m surprising him with these. I’ve been looking around for different recipes, and couldn’t find anything besides just the basic cake mix. I’m so incredibly glad I found this so I can do something different. Thanks for sharing!

39. postedAug 19, 2012 1:11 PM

This looks so delicious.

40. postedNov 13, 2012 6:53 PM

I made these this afternoon and was disappointed. The dough was a bear to work with. After baking, the bottoms fell out where the melted kiss had settled when I tried to remove them from the baking sheet. And after all that, the taste wasn’t really that great. I won’t be making them again.

41. postedNov 22, 2012 10:21 AM

These are indeed delicious, but in the future when I make them, I’m going to call them cupcakes and do them in my small cupcake pan. They really aren’t “cookie’s” but still cake like.

42. postedNov 27, 2012 1:22 PM
    -15 year old baker:)

They look SOO GOOD! I cant wait to make mine. I hope they come out as great as yours looks!!

43. postedDec 9, 2012 2:34 PM

Any suggestions on what to substitute for the Hugs? I cannot find them anywhere. Everyone must have scooped them up for holiday baking. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

• December 9th, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Any other kind of chocolate kiss?

44. postedDec 22, 2012 11:16 AM

@ Dina I am trying these with cookies and cream kisses, had the same problem no hugs in the store. I was going to ask a store clerk where the kisses and hugs were, but stopped myself-that just sounds weird. lol Went to several stores with no luck. Hope these Cookies and Cream Kisses work out!

45. postedNov 4, 2013 4:43 PM

I just made these and I was sad that they came out more like a tough flat cupcake. I didn’t put anything in them (no hugs kisses etc), I just baked the dough following the recipe. Maybe the candy makes a difference? They aren’t soft in the least and they don’t taste like a cookie. The batter was not fun to stir or clean up and they stuck to the cookie sheet, even though I used Pam. I won’t do that again.

46. postedDec 24, 2013 11:51 AM

I just tried making these and it was an epic fail. :( First batch didn’t cook through, even after more than 20 minutes and the 2nd batch came out like cake balls, not cookies.
    And you weren’t kidding when you said the dough would be THICK!! :)

47. postedJul 18, 2014 5:30 PM
    Rachel Hitt

I came across this recipe by accident and I am sitting here laughing so hard I almost wet my pants. My 3 yr old granddaughter ask me what I was looking at. I told her cow poop cookies. She looked at the computer screen and then at me and goes, Uh? I laughed even harder. Think I’ll make these cookies for a bake sale. LOL

48. postedFeb 2, 2015 5:40 PM
    Nancy Crolley

Just found your blog and truly enjoyed it. My sister gave me a recipe for the same cookies you made. Red Velvet. I really enjoy making hers and they are very easy. She calls them “Easy Cookies.”
    1 box cake mix (any kind)
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup canola oil

Mix all ingredients by hand. Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for approximately 6-8 mins. Cool. Spread cake frosting between layers. Make this big “Whoopie pie” or small. They are delicious.