posted in Dinner at 6

One-Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry

Here’s a warm and comforting meatless, vegetarian meal:  One-Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry

One Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry

I’ve never been very big on serving up vegetarian dishes in my house.  I mean… I like vegetables and all (quite a lot, actually!), but the idea of serving non-meat kinds of dinners in my house is not met with great enthusiasm by my family.  So I save dishes like this for times when dinner is just for me, and then I can munch on it for a few days and keep it all to myself.

The Kitchn Cookbook

This recipe comes from the new book by Sara Kate Gillingham and Faith Durand:  The Kitchn Cookbook- Recipes, Kitchens and Tips to Inspire Your Cooking.  I have always been a fan of their website:– great recipes shared, lots of product recommendations and cooking tips.  Their cookbook is much of the same.  You can see that I have several recipes tagged to make.  I had to hold myself back from tagging more because there were a lot of things that looked great!

One Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry #recipe

This dish is a one-pot masterpiece.  That means you will only have to clean one dish, and that’s a big-fat-bonus, right??  Onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, chickpeas and cauliflower are simmered in a spiced-up (not HOT!) coconut curry sauce.  The spinach is swirled in just before serving.

One Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry #recipe -

The end result is served over some steamed rice (quinoa would be great too).  Since my husband was traveling last week, I’m the only one who ate this for dinner in my house.  But I ate it for days, and I really enjoyed it a lot.  The spicy flavors are enough to keep things interesting, and the chickpeas and cauliflower help to make it a filling and satisfying dish.  This one is going on my list of vegetarian meals to make again!

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 45 min

One-Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry

This is not a spicy curry at all; it's mild enough for young children. If you like things spicy, add 1 to 2 chopped jalapenos with the garlic and ginger.

2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 green cardamom pods
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger, from a 3-inch peeled piece
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
One 14-ounce can coconut milk, well-shaken
One small head of cauliflower, chopped
5 ounces baby spinach (about 5 cups, loosely packed)
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
cooked white or brown rice (or quinoa) for serving

1. In a small bowl, combine the garam masala, cumin and ground ginger. Use the flat of a chef's knife to crack the cardamom pods and add those to the bowl too.

2. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, browning the onion and letting it develop dark color, although without burning it. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.

3. Add the spices from the cup and stir them into the onion mixture. Add the tomatoes and the chickpeas and saute for about 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the shaken coconut milk. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat, stir in the cauliflower and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chickpeas are tender and the sauce has reduced slightly.

4. Add the baby spinach in handfuls, stirring in each handful to help it wilt before adding the next. Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with salt.

5. Serve immediately over rice, or let cool and refrigerate. The curry will hold up well in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

*If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk that are known to be GF.
*If you don't have fresh spinach, it's okay to sub 1 cup thawed and drained frozen.

SOURCE: (shared with permission from The Kitchn Cookbook by Sara Kate Gillingham and Faith Durand : Clarkson-Potter 2014)

Disclosure:  There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.

18 Responses to “One-Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry”

1. postedNov 4, 2014 3:05 AM

I love this one! I only cook vegetarian dinners so always need ideas! Pinned!

2. postedNov 4, 2014 4:49 AM

oh my gawd, I LOVE curry!!! and especially love that this one is vegetarian!! I work with and love Faith and this cookbook too!!! love and pinned! and will promote too! 🙂

3. postedNov 4, 2014 5:01 AM

I have never seen cardamom pods, but have truthfully never looked nor seen them in a recipe. I would love to make this tonight. Is there a good sub that would give similar flavor?

• November 5th, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

I found this on the internet: One pod yields 1/6 teaspoon cardamom. Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon

4. postedNov 4, 2014 5:14 AM

Love this, Lori. We are so in to one-pot meals lately – with curry! This looks fabulous!

5. postedNov 4, 2014 5:43 AM

I can’t wait to try this! One-pot dinners are always on my menu!

6. postedNov 4, 2014 7:35 AM

I think this looks awesome but I tried the whole meatless meals thing and my three guys complained loudly! Now that we are “farmers” and they are really hungry for dinner I think they would make me live in the barn for a few days.
    Looks delish though.

7. postedNov 4, 2014 9:04 AM

Sounds great and will try when I round up the few things that I don’t have. . A person commented that they hsve meateaters. Use as a veggie dish in the mea l or add chicken or pork.

8. postedNov 4, 2014 10:18 AM

I adore curry, but I’ve never tried it “vegetarian style” before. Looks sooo good!

9. postedNov 4, 2014 10:32 AM

Looks good Lori! I just got that cookbook, and I can’t wait to dive in.

10. postedNov 4, 2014 1:02 PM

This looks incredible, Lori! I love coconut curry especially when there are chickpeas. The cauliflower, spinach and tomatoes sounds amazing with everything! I can’t wait to try this! Pinning!

11. postedNov 4, 2014 9:36 PM

I love these flavors! Cauliflower is so hearty too, the perfect sub for meat.

12. postedNov 5, 2014 4:38 AM

One pot meals are a huge plus! This looks hearty and delicious!

13. postedNov 5, 2014 7:15 AM

That just looks so wonderful! The addition of cadamom and curry?? MMMMM MMMMM gooooood!

14. postedNov 5, 2014 10:55 AM

I WISH the other people in my house would be as excited about this dish as I am, because this would be the perfect meal for me. I love these flavors and the Kitchn is one of my favorite websites. I need to get this cookbook!

15. postedNov 5, 2014 9:02 PM

Thanks, Lori! I can do cinnamon and nutmeg easily! And I have a fridge full of CSA spinach and cauliflower. Perfect!

16. postedJan 11, 2015 2:11 PM

Great healthy recipe! Hubby enjoyed having another vegetarian option for lunch. I added 3/4 tsp of red chili powder for some heat, 2 tablespoons of dried fenugreek leaves (crushed in my hand and added to the curry pot) for some tang and salt to taste. I didn’t think there’d be enough liquid in the pan to cook both the chickpeas and cauliflower so I boiled the cauliflower in a separate pot for a few minutes and then added to the curry pot. The lemon juice helps to cut through the coconut milk flavor adding balance.

17. postedAug 2, 2016 7:20 PM

Delish! really good vegan dish, lots of flavor.