This Chickpea Dip is made flavorful with toasted cumin and pomegranate seeds. It’s a delicious dip that’s easy to make and pretty to display at parties!
Chickpea Dip with Toasted Cumin and Pomegranate
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- sea salt
- 2 medium lemons
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fruity extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- pita chips or baguette slices, for serving
- In a small, dry frying pan over medium heat, toast the cumin seeds, shaking the pan often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Pour onto a plate to cool.
- In a mortar, combine garlic and a pinch of salt and crush to a paste with a pestle. Add the toasted cumin seeds and grind them together with the garlic.
- Grate enough zest from 1 lemon to measure ½ teaspoon and then halve and juice both lemons.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chickpeas, garlic-cumin mixture, lemon zest, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil and ¼ cup water. Process the mixture until very creamy, adding more water if needed to achieve the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice..
- Scrape the dip onto a large plate. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Serve with pita chips or baguette slices
- If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you'll need to grind the toasted seeds in a spice grinder. If you don't have either, improvise by using ground cumin and mix well in a small bowl with garlic and salt. (You'll be losing out on the "toasted" flavor of the cumin.)