This Black Eyed Cabbage Salad is tossed with an Asian style dressing and topped with crispy Chow Mein noodles.
Let’s get things straight here, first. There are no black-eyed peas in this salad! The black eyes in the salad refer to the poppy seeds in the salad, which appear as dots throughout (or “black eyes”). This delicious and simple cabbage salad has a sweet Asian-style dressing. It’s a great salad for a potluck or party!
- green cabbage
- purple cabbage
- slivered almonds
- poppy seeds
- crispy Chow Mein noodles
- canola or vegetable oil
- white sugar
- rice vinegar
How to make Black Eyed Cabbage Salad:
Toss green and purple shredded cabbage with toasted almonds and poppy seeds in a large bowl. For the dressing, use a jar. Add oil, sugar, rice vinegar and salt/pepper. Alternately, you can use a fabulous gadget that I bought and use for all of my homemade salad dressings. It’s the OXO Salad Dressing Shaker. I seriously love it so much! Toss the salad with the dressing. You may wish to add a little dressing at a time until you’ve reached an amount that works for how much you like your salad dressed.
How to toast slivered almonds:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the slivered almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly brown, about 5 min. Keep an eye on them, watching that they don’t brown too quickly.
Add the crispy Chow Mein noodles and mix to combine. After the dressing is added, you’ll want to serve this black eyed cabbage salad right away because you don’t want the crispy Chow Mein noodles to become soggy!
You can double this salad recipe easily to make a larger bowl to serve to a larger bunch. Just double all of the ingredients- the dressing too. This is also a fabulous salad in which to add grilled or roasted chicken. Alternately, you might enjoy my Asian chicken salad or my Chinese grilled chicken salad. Enjoy!
Black Eyed Cabbage Salad
- ½ head green cabbage, shredded
- ½ head purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted (see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups chow mein noodles (the crunchy noodles)
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl, toss together the green cabbage, red cabbage, slivered almonds and poppy seeds.
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar, and shake to combine.
- When ready to serve, toss the dressing (as much as you'd like- perhaps not all of it) with the salad. Sprinkle in the chow mein noodles and toss to combine.
- How to toast slivered almonds: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the slivered almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly brown, about 5 min. Keep an eye on them, watching that they don't brown too quickly.