Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is the perfect recipe to use up leftover corned beef.
You’ll be happy to know that there is a short list of ingredients for this soup, which is awesome when the grocery shelves are bare. If you happen to be making corned beef for dinner, then this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is an excellent and easy option for making the next day with your leftovers. It’s always nice to be able to re-purpose your leftovers to create something totally new!
Things to serve with this soup:
This is a pretty good main dish soup since it has the corned beef added to it. I’d for sure serve it with some traditional Irish Soda Bread and a simple green salad. Perhaps consider baking Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce or an Irish Cream Bundt Cake for dessert.
- olive oil
- onions, cabbage, carrots and potatoes
- chicken broth
- half and half cream
- leftover corned beef
How to make Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup:
Be sure to scroll to the end of this post to print out the complete recipe. The first thing you’ll do is sauté sliced sweet onions in a little bit of oil. Then you’ll add shredded cabbage, grated potatoes and chicken broth and let it all simmer until the vegetables are tender. While the soup is simmering, the corned beef is browned until crispy in a hot skillet. Finally, carrots and half and half are added to the soup for a bit more simmering. And the crisped corned beef is added in at the end.
What if you don’t have leftover corned beef?
It’s okay! You can go to the deli in your local market and ask them to cut you some of the deli corned beef. Ask for your corned beef to be cut thickly, and then you can create perfectly good chunks for making this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup.
Whether you make this for dinner tonight or you make it tomorrow with your corned beef leftovers, it’s a delicious option for a satisfying meal. Enjoy!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup
- Herbed Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato Chowder
- Italian Vegetable Soup
- Lentil Soup
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups chopped sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Maui)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups grated Russet potatoes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 8 to 10 ounces (about 1½ cups) corned beef, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup half and half cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and potatoes; stir. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a small skillet and sauté the corned beef until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Add the carrots and half and half to the soup; simmer for 10 more minutes. Stir in the corned beef and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just make sure your corned beef and chicken broth are both known to be GF.