Roasted Red Pepper Soup is a nice, light pretty soup recipe.
Here’s a soup made of vegetables! The base of the soup is roasted red bell peppers (from a jar) and sautéed shallots. You can choose to use either chicken broth or vegetable broth (if you want to keep it vegetarian). Orange juice is added to the soup to give it a boost of flavor. And the garnish added on top is fabulous!
How to make Roasted Red Pepper Soup:
This is a very easy soup recipe to make! Scroll to the end of this post to print out the complete recipe. Shallots are sautéed in olive oil until softened. Then you’ll add a jar of roasted red peppers to the pan along with vegetable or chicken broth and a tiny amount of sugar. The soup is simmered for just 5 minutes, and then you’ll pull it from the heat and let it cool a bit.
The next step is puréeing the soup in a blender or food processor. It’s important that the soup has had a chance to cool off some before blending. It can be dangerous to blend a super hot mixture. You don’t want the lid flying off during blending because of the heat. The final step in making this soup is stirring in orange juice and adding salt/pepper.
The Soup Garnish:
I feel like the garnish is what really makes this roasted red pepper soup so delicious, so I don’t think I’d skip it. It’s a simple mix of whipping cream and orange zest. You drizzle it right on top of the soup and add a few chopped fresh basil leaves too.
Is this soup Weight Watchers friendly?
It sure is! The WW points are included in the recipe card below. And you can decrease the points further if you don’t add the cream garnish on top.
Since this soup is made of vegetables, I like to serve it as a side dish for dinner. It would be good served with chicken or steak. And it’s a healthy, light soup to make for lunch too.
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Wild Rice Soup
- Easy French Onion Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Kale
- Creamy Lentil Soup
- Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- Greek Orzo and Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Wonton Soup
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup sliced shallots (about 4 shallots)
- One 15-ounce jar roasted red peppers, packed in water
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 2 cups (or more) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
PREPARE THE SOUP:
- Heat the oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the red peppers with their liquid. Stir in the sugar; sauté 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let the soup cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pan. Bring to a simmer; stir in the orange juice. Thin the soup with additional broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
PREPARE THE GARNISH:
- In a small bowl, whisk the whipping cream and orange zest until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls. Drizzle the orange cream over the soup. Sprinkle with basil and serve. Alternately, you can choose to garnish individual servings, as desired.