This Greek Orzo and Chicken Soup is such a good “lighter,” easy-to-make soup that is totally packed with flavor. Watch the video showing you how to make this soup, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
Are you in the midst of a season of freezing temperatures, or are you just in need of trying a delicious new soup recipe for dinner? I’ve got you covered both ways. This soup recipe is one that will warm you up, and it will provide plenty of comfort!
What makes this soup “Greek?”
This soup is reminiscent of the classic Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. I’m not about to claim that this is an authentic Greek recipe since there will be someone out there who disputes my claim! But it certainly has some nice Greek-style flavors such as lemon and dill, and it has the classic texture of egg added in at the end of the cooking process.
What is Orzo, and where can I find it?
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. It can be found in the pasta section in your local market. Alternately, you can use white rice instead of orzo. I’ve seen Greek Lemon Chicken Soup recipes made both ways.
How to make this soup even more Weight Watchers friendly:
One of my very nice readers suggested that if you’re following the Weight Watchers Freestyle Points program, you might choose to make this soup lighter by adding in cauliflower rice (toward the end of cooking). If you do this, you can leave out the orzo for fewer WW points per serving, or for just a much lighter soup overall. In fact, if you sub the cauliflower rice for the orzo, that turns this soup into a ZERO points meal!
My favorite soup pot!
Here’s the pot I have (in this orange color!) that I love to make my soups and chilis in. It’s the Rachael Ray Enamel on Steel 12-Quart Covered Stockpot (found on Amazon). I ordered it on whim when I needed a large pot, and I have really loved it ever since! It’s easy to clean, and it holds a lot of soup and chili. I like to double recipes, make a lot and freeze some.
Here are a few more chicken soup recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken Broccoli Soup
- Chipotle Chicken and Tomato Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup
- Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup
- Classic Chicken Soup
- Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
Greek Orzo and Chicken Soup
This Greek Orzo and Chicken Soup is the most delightful, light soup recipe!
- 6 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta (or can sub cauliflower rice)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces roasted chicken breast
Bring the broth and dill to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the orzo. Reduce the heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until the orzo is slightly tender. Remove from heat.
Place the eggs and juice in a blender; process until smooth. Remove 1 cup of broth from the pan with a ladle, making sure to leave out the orzo. With the blender on, slowly add the broth; process until smooth.
Add the carrot, salt, pepper and chicken to the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook 5 minutes or until the orzo is tender. Reduce the heat to low. Slowly stir in the egg mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- (Per 2-cup serving): Freestyle SmartPoints: 3, SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus: 7, Old Points Program: 6
- If you sub cauliflower rice for the orzo, that turns this meal into ZERO WW POINTS!
- If you are preparing this soup as GLUTEN-FREE, use cauliflower rice instead of orzo, and just make sure that your chicken broth and roasted chicken do not contain any gluten.