It’s hard to expect much from such simple ingredients, but this Chipotle Chicken and Tomato Soup is a very flavorful and filling soup!
Leave the sauce on the chiles (rather than scraping it off) to create a rich, dark-colored soup. A good dollop of sour cream will cut the heat a bit from the chiles.
Chipotle Chicken and Tomato Soup
This simple-to-make soup is both delicious and filling.
Servings: 4 servings
- One 15.5 ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15.5 ounce can no salt added stewed tomatoes
- One 14 ounce can fat free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups (about ½ pound) chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan(through cumin) and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Partially mash the tomatoes and beans with a potato masher. Stir in the chicken; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat and stir in the oil. Place 1¼ cups soup in each of four bowls. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons sour cream and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of beans, chicken broth and tomatoes that are known to be GF.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 453kcal, Carbohydrates: 32g, Protein: 41g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 106mg, Sodium: 887mg, Potassium: 928mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 669IU, Vitamin C: 10mg, Calcium: 136mg, Iron: 5mg