Pan Seared Shrimp with Chipotle Lime Glaze is a nice, lighter Mexican-style dinner recipe.
This shrimp recipe is easy, fresh, and super-quick. These shrimp are not super spicy! The “glaze” is a simple mixture of chipotle chiles in adobo + some of the sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and cilantro. Just be sure to remove and discard the seeds in the chipotle chile because that’s where the fire is at! The whole recipe requires minimal prep and cooking time (especially if you buy the shrimp already peeled and de-veined).
- canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- adobo sauce
- light brown sugar
- lime juice
- fresh cilantro
- vegetable or canola oil
- extra large shrimp
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- white sugar
How to make Pan Seared Shrimp with Chipotle Lime Glaze:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
The first step is preparing the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients and stir to mix. Set aside.
This shrimp is fabulous on its own. Add a side salad and some wine, and you’ve got yourself a pretty healthy dinner.
Of course, you can serve it with some steamed rice too. There won’t be a lot of juices to soak up the rice, so be sure to make a flavorful rice like Chile Cheese Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice. The shrimp has plenty of flavor all on its own, so you’re perfectly okay to just serve regular steamed rice too. Enjoy!
About Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce:
These are sold in a can, and you can locate them in your market’s Latin foods/Mexican food aisle. There are several chiles in the can, and they are surrounded by adobo sauce. You’ll need one whole chile for this recipe, and you’ll need some of the adobo sauce too. The leftovers of the chiles in adobo sauce freeze well. I usually split them up between 3 small zip baggies and just toss them into the freezer. When I need chipotles in adobo for another recipe, I take one of the baggies out to thaw. Easy!
The Best Shrimp Recipes:
- Grilled Shrimp Packets
- Barbecued Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary and Thyme
- Grilled Jumbo Shrimp Drizzled with Lemon- Chipotle Butter
Pan Seared Shrimp with Chipotle Lime Glaze
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 whole (from the can) chipotle chile in adobo sauce (remove seeds, discard, and then chop the chile)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 1½ pounds extra large shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon granulated white sugar
PREPARE THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients and stir to mix. Set aside.
PREPARE THE SHRIMP:
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of oil over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, toss the shrimp, salt, pepper and sugar in a medium bowl. Add half of the shrimp to the pan in a single layer and cook until spotty brown and the edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat. Using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but the center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil and the remaining shrimp.
- After the second batch has stood off the heat, return the first batch to the skillet. Add the glaze mixture and toss until combined. Cover the skillet and let stand until the shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Chipotles chiles in adobo sauce can be found (canned) in the Latin aisle of your supermarket or in specialty markets.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, the La Costena brand of chipotles in adobo is noted as being GF.