These Grilled Shrimp Packets are fun to make during the warmer months when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen and would rather use the grill.
This is my favorite sort of dinner to make because it’s a complete dinner made all at once. Your protein, vegetable and side dish is all in one foil packet! You can assemble it all, throw it on the grill and you don’t have to do anything else except open a bottle of wine. It’s so easy!
This recipe comes from first-time cookbook author Cyndi Kane: Save-It-Forward Suppers- A Simple Strategy to Save Time, Money and Sanity. I really love this book to use for meal planning. Honestly, I really hate to come up with 7 different dinner ideas for the week. This book shows you how you can make more than one meal out of one main recipe. For example, bake a ham. Then make a soup out of it. Then make beans and cornbread. That’s three meals to make out of that ham!
There are 15 weekly menus in the book and 100 recipes. Instead of traditional photography, an illustrator drew the pictures for the recipes. It’s a fun, unique idea for a book. I recommend!
Here are a few recipes I’d like to try from the book:
- Scalloped Potato Soup
- Thai Basil Chicken
- Breakfast for Dinner Burritos
- Chicken Milanese
- Cajun Chowder
- Marinated Corn and Artichoke Dip
- Salmon Patties
- Asian Flank Steak
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- small yellow onions
- smoked sausage
- fresh corn
- fresh or thawed frozen shrimp
- cajun seasoning
- garlic powder
- bottle of beer (or chicken broth)
- large-sized, heavy-duty aluminum foil
How to make Grilled Shrimp Packets:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Can you make foil packets in the oven?
If you are making these as the starter recipe in the Save if Forward Suppers cookbook, you will have 4 servings and then you will use the extra 2 packets as ingredients to help you make the recipes for Cajun chowder and Shakshuka. There is also a recipe in the book for how to make shrimp broth with the shrimp shells.
- Grilled Jumbo Shrimp Drizzled with Lemon Chipotle Butter
- Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp
- Grilled Marinated Shrimp
- Honey Garlic Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Shrimp
Grilled Shrimp Packets
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 2 small yellow onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 18 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 3 ears fresh corn, husked and broken into halves
- 3 pounds fresh or thawed frozen shrimp, unpeeled
- cajun seasoning
- garlic powder
- One 12-ounce bottle of beer (or 1½ cups chicken broth or water)
- large-sized heavy duty aluminum foil
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut the heavy-duty foil into six 20-inch lengths. Make 6 foil packets. Be sure to make the packets big enough to encompass all of the ingredients, about 5x7-inches on the bottom, with enough extra foil at the top to fold over a few times.
- Divide the ingredients onto each foil sheet in this order: potatoes, onions, sausage, corn and shrimp. Between the layers, lightly sprinkle Cajun seasoning and a bit of garlic powder. Cup the sides of the foil so that the liquid will not escape and add ¼ cup of the beer to each packet. Accordion fold the excess foil at the top, then fold in the sides to prevent leakage.
- Set the packets on a sheet pan, and then transfer them onto your pre-heated grill. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes. (Alternately, you can bake them in the oven for 20 minutes at 375°F).
- Serve the packets on plates. Be careful when opening the foil- the contents will be hot!
- If you are making these as the starter recipe in the Save if Forward Suppers cookbook, you will have 4 servings and then you will use the extra 2 packets as ingredients to help you make the Cajun chowder and Shakshuka. There is also a recipe in the book for how to make shrimp broth with the shrimp shells.