This Chile Cheese Rice is such an easy recipe, and it’s so good!
I’ve gotta be honest with you. This was not an easy recipe to photograph. It’s perfectly cheesy and wonderful, but man… when you scoop it out of the dish– it just looks like a hot mess. You’re going to have to trust me on this one. This is a really simple-to-make and delicious rice side dish recipe- especially if you’re a cheese lover. I’m sorry the photos don’t look more appetizing!!
How to make Chile Cheese Rice:
You do have to cook the rice on the stove first. That’s super easy to do though. Just cook 2 cups of rice in chicken broth. If you don’t want to use chicken broth, you can use vegetable broth or even just water. The cooked rice is combined with sour cream and chopped canned chiles. Then you’ll layer the rice mixture and cheese and onion salt in a casserole dish. That’s it, and then bake until the cheesy is super melty and perfect!
When I’m making tacos or enchiladas or something like that, I’m always at a loss to think of what I can make as a side dish to go with those types of things. This Chile Cheese Rice is a great side dish to Mexican-themed main dishes. It’s always gobbled up!
Here are a few more rice recipes you might be interested in trying:
- Fiesta Rice
- Brown Butter Rice
- Baked Parmesan Rice
- Greek Lemon Rice
- Classic Rice Pilaf Recipe
- Dirty Rice
- Lemon Rice with Capers and Parsley
- Coconut Ginger Rice
Chile Cheese Rice
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- One 7-ounce can chopped mild chiles, squeezed dry
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- onion salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 (or similar) casserole dish.
- Cook rice using chicken broth instead of water (use package directions). Remove from heat and fold in the chiles and sour cream (reserve a little bit of sour cream for the top).
- Layer half of the rice mixture and half of each cheese. Sprinkle with onion salt. Layer the rest of the rice on top. Sprinkle with more onion salt. Spread the reserved sour cream on top. Then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of chicken broth and chiles that are known to be GF.