I think you’ll find that this Coconut Ginger Rice recipe will be the star of your next dinner. A couple of special added ingredients to this side dish are sushi ginger and pesto.
You can locate sushi ginger easily at your market’s sushi counter. If they don’t sell a little tub of it, you can ask the sushi guy and he’ll give you some (especially if you’re really nice and you tell him how good his sushi looks.)
Don’t skip out on any of the ingredients in this recipe. They all truly add to the flavor of this rice recipe and make it so incredibly delicious!
I recommend serving this rice with these Thai Beef Tacos. It’s a great dinner combination!
Coconut Ginger Rice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sushi ginger, drained & chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onions
- 2 cups white Jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- Melt butter in medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Add ginger, garlic and onions, stir frequently until onions are transparent. Add rice, turning frequently until well coated. Add coconut milk, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes (until liquid is absorbed.)
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-6 minutes. Turn rice into serving bowl, add basil pesto and toss with fork to fluff and distribute flavor.
- For Sushi Ginger- ask at your market's sushi counter. They should be able to give you some.