This Baked Mushroom Rice is one of my favorite side dish recipes!
This very simple to throw together rice dish is stress-free since it’s baked up in the oven. I’ve been making this recipe for dinner since 2007. Truth be told: sometimes I eat this baked mushroom rice for dinner all on its own without a main dish! Mushroom lovers will really enjoy this one.
- white rice
- green onions
- sliced mushrooms
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
How to make Baked Mushroom Rice:
You will sauté green onions and mushrooms in a buttered skillet, and then you’ll add in chicken broth, sherry, salt and pepper. That’s simmered until the mushrooms have softened a bit. Then that mixture is poured over uncooked rice in a casserole dish. The dish is then covered, and the rice is baked for 25 minutes.
What kind of rice should you buy for this recipe?
Use any kind of rice that says on the bag that it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to cook. This can be a Jasmine rice or a plain, long-grain white rice. Don’t use wild rice or any kind of long-cooking rice for this recipe.
Is there a substitute for sherry?
Sherry is what gives this baked mushroom rice its unique and delicious flavor. You should be able to find cooking sherry near the vinegar in your local market. If you don’t like to cook with alcohol (or if you simply don’t want to use it), just add in another 1/2 cup of chicken broth in place of the sherry.
Try serving baked mushroom rice as a side to your favorite chicken, beef or pork recipe. It’s delicious. Enjoy!
Here are a few more rice side dish recipes you might like to try:
- Lemon Rice with Capers and Parsley
- Fiesta Rice
- Brown Butter Rice
- Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Rice
- Baked Parmesan Rice
- Classic Rice Pilaf
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Coconut Ginger Rice
Baked Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 7x11" baking dish (or similar size) with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle the rice evenly into the dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the green onions until softened. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are softened. Pour in the chicken broth, sherry, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and pour over the rice in baking dish.
- Cover the dish with a lid (or tightly with foil) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- *If you are preparing this as a GLUTEN FREE recipe, make sure the brand of chicken broth you have purchased is known to be GF.